Author Topic: anyone exploring starter cultures for queso fresco  (Read 3439 times)

klschnepp

anyone exploring starter cultures for queso fresco
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
Wondering if anyone has done any experimenting with various meso cultures for queso fresco (or similar cheeses that may be relevant)?   I am a fan of the buttermilk starter, but considering production at a larger scale as well as just mucking about with it and looking for thoughts, advice and/or stories where things went horribly wrong.... ;)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: anyone exploring starter cultures for queso fresco
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:33:32 PM »
It's a Meso culture. The exact choice and mix is up to you.

klschnepp

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:54:46 AM »
Sorry, sailor, I should have been more specific (and I am just getting arms around the lingo!).   I am hoping to find out if anyone out there is using a commercially purchased culture and, if yes, which one and why.  I certainly appreciate it is not plug and play given differences in processes, milk, etc. -- but just casting about for any insights.   

mnmaxg

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
I too am curious about this. I'm very new to cheesemaking (just made my first queso fresco last night!), but I hope to understand the differences between brands/meso cultures to experiment and get creative. What have you used so far, klschnepp?

klschnepp

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
Sorry for the delay in response. After a bit of experimentation, I am happy with a really basic culture -- Choozit MA400 -- go figure.

mnmaxg

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
Cool. Although cheesemaking can get very complicated and involved, I keep being reminded that simple solutions come up more often than I might think