Author Topic: Combining Raw and Store Bought Milk  (Read 6256 times)

Offline shenandoah

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Combining Raw and Store Bought Milk
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
Does anyone do this?
At $9.75 per gallon for raw milk I was wondering if  I could do 2 gallons of raw to 3 gallons of P/H milk.
Would I need to add anything or is that enough raw to do the trick?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Combining Raw and Store Bought Milk
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:11:30 AM »
My raw milk is either $9.99 or $11.99 per gallon depending on which dairy I go with. My pasteurized/not-homogenized sells for $3.19 per half gallon so there's a little savings there.

A number of folks on the forum, including myself, have taken the goodness of raw milk and combined it with the cost-savings from P&H store milk to achieve better results in the end-product without breaking the bank.

Go for it.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
If you think of it your raw milk is inoculating flora to your heat treated milk and despite a lower concentration of enzymes with enough aging you will get alot more flavor.

Myrrh

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »
I often do this. My vat holds 7 gallons, and I hate to make hard cheese with less then that. While I have access to lovely fresh goat milk I make a lot of goat cheese, but mix it with however much commercial cows milk to get to 7 gallons. Turns out great!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
Raw cow milk is not all that easy to find in my area, or at least I have not yet found an inexpensive source. Yesterday I found raw Jersey milk sold by the quart, at about $6.50 for the quart (plus a deposit for the glass jar). I have also found raw Holstein milk at $10 a half gallon. Either way, it works out pretty steep for making a batch of cheese. My usual milk is low temp pasteurized, non-homogenized  and sells for close to $8 a gallon. 
If I want to buy some of that lovely raw Jersey milk, and add it to the regular stuff, at what ratio do I need to add it, and how long to let it sit for the beneficials to help re-populate the sterile milk? Or is that just theory?
Susan

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »
I guess I am really lucky that I can get raw milk for $5.50 a gallon.  Unfortunately they have a 2 gallon per day limit, so I have mixed raw and P/H milk, too.  The cheeses won't be ripe for another few months, so I can't tell you how well it worked yet. 

tnbquilt

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
I like this idea myself. Raw milk is $7 a gallon here, and we can't always afford to buy it when I want to make cheese. I could try mixing it half and half and see how I like the results.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Combining Raw and Store Bought Milk
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
So, on a 2 gallon make, what if I use 2 quarts of the lovely raw Jersey milk and 6 quarts of the non-homogenized standard, mixing them together when still cold, and let them sit until room temp. I would guess that would take a couple of hours.... then start the make. Does that seem a long enough time to allow some benefit from the raw milk? Also, would I need to use a bit less starter? Because it would be with raw milk, I suppose it would be more safe to wait at least 6 weeks for aging?
Susan

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »
I have done exactly that, although I did not let them sit until reaching room temp. I mixed them the night before and kept them in the fridge overnight. The next morning I just slowly heated until target temp was reached with excellent results.

A bit less starter is fine also...for 2 gallons of store bought I usually use 1/4 tsp of starter, but when I have raw, I drop it to 3/16 tsp.

You will see a noticeably improved curd over store-bought. One little trick I have used my last half dozen makes that also results in an improved curd is to buy no-fat Homo Pasteurized milk and add cream to reach the desired protein/fat ratio for the cheese. Results in a better curd than using whole milk of the same supplier and very close to a raw/HP mix such as you are describing.

Oh, and make sure the cream you use (if you go that direction) is not ultra-pasteurized.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
If using the raw milk just for the cultures, could I just freeze the raw milk into cubes like a lot of people do with starter?  I'm assuming there are other differences in raw and store bought milk, especially homogenized.

BobE102330

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
I doubt that the flora in raw milk are sufficiently concentrated to be an effective starter.  Freezing a large portion of the milk used in a batch would probably have negative effects on the structure of the milk.  Find something your wife likes near the raw milk source and make a day trip of it, getting milk on the way home.  Yes, I can be sneaky. ;)

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
It will be very difficult to produce a reliable messo starter from raw milk, see PAV's walk thru on creating a wild thermo culture.
I suggest you stick with DVC so you have both reliablity, predictabillity and increased cheese safty.

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
I would say don't even try mesos unless you have lab skills and/or have access to a lab for testing support. It's tough, you need to know your microbio and lab protocols. Thermos are more doable on a farm in a repeatable way.

sufficiently concentrated to be an effective starter.
SLAB, generally yes. NSLAB, there's enough to make a difference, although it varies - luck of the draw.

Clean break

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
I made a Emmental yesterday using 2 gallons of raw jersey milk which I past. at 145 and 2 gallons of p&h.  I thought the curd was weaker than batches I have made using all farm fresh.  Do any of you add calcium chloride to your mixes?  I was thinking next time I would add cc to help out the p&h.
Scott

bbracken677

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »
Anytime you use store-bought you should add calcium chloride to your milk.  HP milk will not set as well and the CC will help that, just make sure you do not buy ultra pasteurized.  I use fat-free milk and add cream to reach the correct protein/fat ratio. Using the fat-free and cream (not U.P.) seems to also produce a better curd.