Author Topic: Yogurt Making - Step by Step - In Pictures  (Read 5270 times)

JustPeachy

Yogurt Making - Step by Step - In Pictures
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
I've been making yogurt for some time now, and because I'm a very visual person I thought it might help some new-to-yogurt- folks to see the process from start to finish. I know when I started I found lots of info but some was conflicting or not explained well. It would have helped me if I had the process laid out in photos for reference, so here we go.... I'd also like to thank my wonderful husband, Baer, for his help with the "action" shots.  ;)

Ingredients:
2qts of the best milk you can find. I use Homestead Creamery Creamline
small container of yogurt with live cultures. My fav. is Dannon Oikos Greek Plain
1 cup powdered milk

Get everything together. I make 2qts + a little extra with the addition of the starter culture and the powdered milk. I sterilize my stuff in the dishwasher beforehand.

I put my jars into hot water to warm them while I'm heating the milk.

The milk goes into my makeshift double boiler...

And then I add the powdered milk and let that absorb before I start stirring...

While the milk is heating, I put the culture into a med. container as it is coming to room temp...

I heat my milk to 200F and once it reaches I remove from the heat...

I like to cool rapidly so I fill the sink with cold water and set the milk in there to drop the temp. Takes about 15mins. if you stir it...

Once it gets to between 110-100F I remove from the sink...

Because the culture is still chilled, I temper by adding a small amount of the cooled milk to the container and stirring until smooth...

Then add more to fill the jar, stir again until smooth and warmed up...

Add the tempered culture into the milk...

Fill the jars...

And wrap them up...

I use my microwave as my incubator so I load my wrapped jars in (Do Not Turn On!)...

The water that heated my jars is used for extra warmth, which is probably overkill but I like to make sure it's toasty in there...

Shut the door and walk away. I leave mine for 12hrs then remove and place in the fridge overnight so it's good to go the following morning. If you want it tangier, leave it for 18-24hrs depending on your taste.

Just add sweetener and favorite toppings. Yummy!

Banjoza

Re: Yogurt Making - Step by Step - In Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
Thank you for the clear pictures and easy to follow instructions. This is helpful. A cheese from me!

JustPeachy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:38:04 AM »
Thank you for the clear pictures and easy to follow instructions. This is helpful. A cheese from me!

Thank you for the cheesy goodness and glad to help!

I did want to add that you can use about 1/2c. of your homemade yogurt to culture another batch. I usually re-culture 3-4 times before I purchase another commercial container of yogurt.

jdranch

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »
wonderful tutorial- thanks for sharing!

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
Thanks for the great tutorial.
As I'm new to yogurt making, I have one Q - why many recipes call for powdered milk?

margaretsmall

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 05:53:46 AM »
Golly. I pour one litre UHT full cream milk into my yogurt maker, stir in some skim powdered milk, scatter a few grains of culture over the top, leave them to hydrate for a moment or two, whisk them in, put the lid on, turn the timer to 10 hours and leave it. Usually overnight. Put it in the fridge in the makers container until its cold. Eat for breakfast with a banana. Perfect.
Margaret

JustPeachy

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 03:19:26 PM »
I wanted to update my process. I now omit the powdered milk and leave the yogurt to incubate for a full 24hrs. It still works perfectly. It's thick and creamy and one less thing to mess with. I'm all for simplicity!