Author Topic: Saint Paulin...The First  (Read 10284 times)

george

Re: Saint Paulin...The First
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »
Tell him you're going to change his name to "Dinner" if he doesn't cut it out.  And mean it!  It doesn't work if they know you're just kidding.   ;)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 12:46:07 PM »
Tell him you're going to change his name to "Dinner" if he doesn't cut it out.  And mean it!  It doesn't work if they know you're just kidding.   ;)

Yes indeed, George!  (or should I call you MaryJ?)
Well, it would be easy to sound like I mean it because I do!   >:D. That's the back up plan if they can't learn to play nice.  They go into the freezer and we save two new studs out of this year's ram lamb crop.  A sheep farmer told me you shouldn't keep rams longer than 5-6 years because they all have brain damage by then and turn mean and unpredictably dangerous from bashing their heads against everything.  These guys are just precocious.   ;). Stupid by age 2.  I stood there wondering what I could do to lower their testosterone levels.  Saltpeter?  Some form of estrogen? Sledge hammer blows?  Maybe force them to watch reruns of bad sitcoms?  Tight underwear?  (don't think that would lower their testosterone but it might take their mind off killing each other.)

george

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
Well, maybe you'll have to tell 'em several times, then, in order for it to penetrate their precocious brains.   A)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
Tight underwear?
Still rolling on the floor with all them dust bunnies. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
Tight underwear?
Still rolling on the floor with all them dust bunnies. ;)

-Boofer-

Glad you're keeping the dust bunnies company.  They can get lonely and you don't want to know what will happen if PETA finds out about that!   ;D. See, here's my reasoning on the tight underwear.  I think they'd have a hard time continuing the game of,"I'm more macho and studly than you," if they were both wearing underwear.  Specially if it was kids super hero undies!  Just picture massive rams with huge horns and goofy underwear.  I think they'd stay real quiet and hope no one sees them!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:11:45 PM by Tiarella »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »
I had originally planned on making this for my Valentine on February 14th or February 19th (our 30th anniversary), but I decided it would do well with more time in the cave. I think I was right.

The cheese sliced very nicely. Semi-hard, so that it was a nice table cheese and could go very well with fruit, crackers, crusty bread, etc. At the first taste, I was wondering "Uh oh, salt level is too low.". After savoring that first flash of flavor, my tastebuds acclimated to the subtle nuances of the raw milk complexity. Then I picked up another small slice...oh yeah, I think this is going to be alright! The necessary salt was there. I had to restrain myself from just finishing that section (one sixth of the cheese). It's the kind of cheese that makes me want to go back and taste... just one more small piece. :)

I had developed the rind and then tinted it, as per the style, with saturated annatto color. I was literally dumping the annatto from the bottle onto the cheese and rubbing it around.

There was a slight stickiness inside the vacuum bag when I opened it where the linens & annatto clung to the inside of the bag. Not significant though.

This is a nice little easy cheese that's very satisfying.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »
Boofer!!!  That's VERY lovely looking!!!!!!!!  I'm a bit jealous of the yellow color since goat milk is so white but it makes it look all the more exotic when I see your lovely yellow cheeses.   :D 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »
I'm a bit jealous of the yellow color since goat milk is so white but it makes it look all the more exotic when I see your lovely yellow cheeses.   :D
For some reason I expected the raw milk to need a little help in the color department for this cheese. I added a slight bit of annatto which I probably didn't need. Then too, I colored the rind with annatto. So, in all honesty, there was a little cheating involved. A)

It went together so easily and the care and maintenance after the make was so effortless...I'm quite amazed that it's so good.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »
Nice looking cheese Boofer!  A cheese to your success, and to your 30th anniversary.  Congratulations.

- Jeff 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. Good stuff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 07:56:36 PM »
Okay, good to know they weren't cows giving yellow milk!   ;)  Congratulations on your 30th anniversary!!!!   :D

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »
Okay, good to know they weren't cows giving yellow milk!   ;)  Congratulations on your 30th anniversary!!!!   :D

I was beginning to worry as well! I have not seen any cheese here in Oz that was that yellow.
I have read a few articles on cheeses made in the US and they (apparently) like them a richer yellow colour.
As long as it tastes good then go for it....
-Bill
One day I will add something here...