Author Topic: Gooey & Sinful... Fourth Edition (fingers crossed)  (Read 23731 times)

rosawoodsii

Re: Gooey & Sinful... Fourth Edition (fingers crossed)
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
You made it from goats milk so technically this is a Chevrotin and not a Reblochon and it needs a bit of a different aging.  You would be amazed at how much the flavor and texture can change when you age it longer.

iratherfly, thank you for all the information on testing and wrapping. 

I've never heard of a Chevrotin--but then, there's a lot of cheeses I've never heard of.  What would the different aging consist of?  I have noticed that goat milk cheese (which is what I make 99% of the time) ages much more quickly than cow milk, but are there guidelines for goat Reb/Chevrotin?

Salilah

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
Tartiflette - UK version

You can use Reblochon (best) or a Camembert (even an old one)

Onions and chunky bacon (lardons) - fry in a bit of olive oil until pretty brown and crispy - as far as you want to go

Slice potatoes (I must admit I use both floury and waxy ones) quite thin

In a lidded dish - a bit of garlic around the dish or just slide it into the potatoes -2 layers of potatoes, then add the onion / lardon mixture on top

Add several spoonfuls of creme fraiche (if wanted - some don't) then another 2 layers of potato slices

I cook this with lid (180C) for 45m- an hour; then take the lid off, slice the Reblochon horizontally as well as vertically and lay on the top

another 20mins or so so the cheese melts thoroughly through the potatoes

bliss!!!  PS it's not an old recipe I gather - more recent from skiing sites - but it is lovely for an indulgent supper with a good salad!

rosawoodsii

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2013, 12:38:27 AM »
Okay, this is one I'll have to try...