Looking for Michigan Cheesemakers

Started by Zinger, March 30, 2009, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zinger

Ok, I'll be the first from Michigan to post a geographic post. I'm in west part of the state and if here are any other "cheesy" Michiganders out there that wants to share war stories, give me a shout.

Crackling Pine Farm

I'm in the middle of the mitten and have just started making some cheeses from my raw goat milk.  I know of a man near Charlotte I beleive who gives classes.  I will have to look his name up and come back.

Looks like this could be a very good site to keep track of.

Zinger

Welcome to the sight and cheesemaking, there are a few other Michiganders out there as well.

Crackling Pine Farm

I found the name of the Cheese Smith in Charlotte...Gary Colles.  His phone number is 517 543 3629 and his website is cheesesmith.weebly.com.

Thanks for the welcome.  I look forward to learning a lot from the folks here.

csmith

Hey! That's me.
I have been making cheese for 11 years and teaching 5 years with help from Margret, Rikki and Peter. Yes, that was name dropping.
Newer email address is cheesesmith.net

pclevenger

Hi...new from Pinckney...just stumbled across this site while waiting for the milk to ripen.  Started making cheese with Ricki about 4 months ago.  Much to learn.  Looks like a lot of information here!  :D  (wha'...it said cheesy...thot it apropos...)

--Phil

fastweedpuller

Hi:  I am new-ish to cheesemaking (last 3 years or so) but have really upped my production since we got a goat!  It's super fun.  I am doing a lot of aged cheeses but also running the gamut of fresh and semi-aged. 

So happy to find fellow Michiganders!  I am looking for lots of recipes, especially for blues and of course goat-milk specific cheeses.  Also, any tips on equipment would be appreciated.

We're in the southwest corner of the state.  Come take a virtual visit:
http://fastgrowtheweeds.com/

Marta

Ann Arbor here.  Wishing there was a place to buy (or share!) supplies locally  :-\  I'd be happy to share war stories.  But I'm just now finding out how little I know about this. 

adalton

I also live in Michigan, and am a culinary student.  I have started making cheese about a year ago, but just soft cheeses.  This winter I started making pressed cheeses and love it.  I too would love to share war stories, etc.  Michigan needs a cheese club!

Marta

Fastweedpuller: I have oven envy.

Cheesemkr:  Whereabouts?