Adding Kefir To Yogurt Starter

Started by JustPeachy, May 12, 2012, 01:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustPeachy

I just tried this on a lark and love the result. Anyone else try it?

I've been making my own yogurt for over a year now with much success, but during the last 6mos I've been doing a low carb version with predominately heavy whipping cream. This most recent batch, I got a wild hair and decided to throw in some kefir (not the grains) with my starter just to boost the probiotic benefits, since I had it in the fridge and needed to use it. I seriously didn't expect the added depth of flavor that came through. It produced a rich, tangy and very flavorful yogurt in just 10hrs incubation time! I'm definitely going to make this my go-to in the future. Do you think the kefir really boosted the probiotics more than the yogurt would have otherwise?

linuxboy

Depends on the strains in the kefir. Generally, yes.

Gürkan Yeniçeri

If you make your kefir out of good kefir gems, then yes, probiotic properties are enhanced.

Have a look at my Kefir starter post for a list of bacteria.

JustPeachy

Thank you both for the replies!

Gurkan, your thread was very interesting. I don't know if my gems are good or not. This is my first try at kefir of any kind. I never even purchased commercial kefir to try before getting the gems. I have worked with sour dough and yogurt many times in the past so I was interested to try them.