First baby blues

Started by Marco, September 08, 2020, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marco

I followed an old English recipe which is very similar to making cams but a slightly lower temperature is used and obviously p.roq instead of p.c.

Came out remarkably well and now I wish to make slightly larger ones.

MacGruff

Scarlettbri12

John@PC

Beautiful and deserving of a cheese.  It would be interesting to see the recipe if possible?  It almost looks like this was pierced to accentuate the veining?

Marco

Quote from: John@PC on September 08, 2020, 08:32:54 PM
Beautiful and deserving of a cheese.  It would be interesting to see the recipe if possible?  It almost looks like this was pierced to accentuate the veining?

Thanks and of course.

I made 12 200g cheeses as per usual.

20L of milk
Flora danica
Rennet
P. Roquefort
Calcium liquid stuff

Warm milk to 29c and add liquid calcium stuff
Add starter (I chose FD but any meso will do)
Wait 45 mins
Add rennet
Wait 75 mins
Cut curd
Heal for 5 mins
Hold curds at 29c for one hour stirring every ten minutes
Fill moulds and drain
Salt the next morning
Continue to drain at room temp but on day 3 place into your 52f/85% cave.
Pierce at 8 and 15 days turn every other day.
Wrap and store at 4c at 21 days.

In the above photos they were about 30 days old in total and were quite firm but by 45 days were very soft and delicious!
In the below photo it was probably 40 days old.

John@PC

Thanks Marco.  No P. candidum?  That explains the dark surface of blue mold (thought it might be ash at first).  How much P. roqueforte did you use?  Wonder how it would look / taste if you added candidium?

Marco

Quote from: John@PC on September 09, 2020, 09:02:13 PM
Thanks Marco.  No P. candidum?  That explains the dark surface of blue mold (thought it might be ash at first).  How much P. roqueforte did you use?  Wonder how it would look / taste if you added candidium?

Nope no p.c. I would like to try a mix at some point but this recipe is blue only! I just followed the instructions on the P.roq packaging.

Marco

So I tried a much larger shape and they seem to have worked well, although I think the others in the batch could have been opened a week ago.

I scraped these ones and prefer the 'scraped' look!

Mornduk

These are beautiful, AC4U!

I was planning to try Cambozola when I get the blue cheese cave empty in a couple of weeks, but I might be giving your recipe a shot, it looks delightful.

not_ally

Marco,you are on a run! ACFU from me too.