Which cultures to choose??? Aroma B, Flora Danica, or Porbat 222.

Started by bratrules1, March 28, 2015, 12:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bratrules1

Am try to decide which of these cultures to choose what is the difference besides the price. I want to choose between Aroma B, Flora Danica, or Porbat 222. If anybody can help me out that would be great.

Stinky

Well, what cheeses do you want to make?

As far as I know, Aroma B doesn't have too many uses...

bratrules1

Well I want it for a few types of cheese including Gouda, Camembert,and for making blues. A few others I can't think of off the top of my head. Some one mentioned to me that probat has a better flavor and is very versatile also. But it does cost more.

OzzieCheese

Hi,  For something with all 4 main lactic acid bacteria have a look at the Sacco MO 036 R.  I use it in my Blue cheese and 'Malemberts'.  I wouldn't use it in anything you are planning to have a closed texture as it does create quite a bit of CO2.  I haven't made a cheese with eyes yet but I feel it should work well.

Lyofast M 036 R consists of undefined strains of Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis ssp. cremoris, Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis biovar
diacetylactis, and Leuconostoc.

Lyofast M 036 R ensures a uniform and controlled production of fermented milk, fresh cheese, soft cheese, and semihard cheese with fast citrate fermentation.

Spec sheet here http://greenlivingaustralia.com.au/specs/ETS91M036R.pdf

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

bratrules1

Thanks for the info. Reading up on it, it does sound very good. But can I find it here in the states??

bratrules1

scasnerkay

Bratrules I would suggest you read the descriptions at Artisan Geek (artisangeek.com). His prices and service are good as well.
Susan

Stinky

If I were to get a selection of cultures, it would be Ma 4001, Meso II, Thermo B and C.

Al Lewis

I would agree with Stinky but add Flora Danica.  It has a ton of uses and adds a buttery taste to your cheese.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

Maybe I pick some up next time? Sounds nice.

Ah, here is a really really valuable resource.

http://www.artisancheesemakingathome.com/pdfs/cultures.pdf

Realllllly valuable.

qdog1955

I think aroma b and flora danica are the same-----check this chart posted by Sailor   https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7559.0;attach=13005 ----I keep a copy in my note book for reference-----there are some other charts on cultures on the site.
Qdog

Stinky

Ah, I seeeee. I have some aroma. I shall have to use it in place of FD in recipes then.

What do you all put it in?

bratrules1

Quote from: scasnerkay on March 28, 2015, 06:10:42 PM
Bratrules I would suggest you read the descriptions at Artisan Geek (artisangeek.com). His prices and service are good as well.

This is where I plan to buy most of my stuff. The shipping prices are very reasonable!!!

Kern

Quote from: Al Lewis on March 28, 2015, 07:57:07 PM
I would agree with Stinky but add Flora Danica.  It has a ton of uses and adds a buttery taste to your cheese.

I've made Feta a couple of times with Choozit's Feta B culture following the guidelines in Caldwell's Artisan Cheese Making.  The goal pH following draining is 4.6-4.8.  Caldwell mentions that this should take up to 12 hours.  I hit the goal both times in 11-12 hours at about 4.78.  The first batch was with 2 gallons of vat pasteurized whole milk.  The second was with 2 gallons of P&H milk.  Other parameters (temperature, ripening time, cut curd size, etc.) were pretty much the same.  Yesterday I made a third batch using one gallon of each of the above milks.  Caldwell's recipe states that Flora Danica can also be used.  So, I opened a new un-expired packet and used FD.  Being a degreed and somewhat anal chemical engineer when it comes to these kind of things, I pretty much stayed the course following the same parameters as in the earlier batches.  Being of this disposition I go through pH buffer solution dialing in my pH meter about as fast as a wino on skid road goes through Thunderbird wine.  After 12 hours the pH was still about 5.1 so I let it sit until about 11:00am this morning - a total of 20 hours of draining.  The pH had leveled out at 4.92 - the same as it was when I checked it six hours before. 

This could be a result of the different cultures.  But, I made one other change that might have affected the pH drop but wonder if it could have affected the ultimate pH:  The recipe called for cutting the curds at 3/4 to 1 inch.  I had used my three quarter inch cutter the first two times.  This time I used my new 1-inch cutter - the one that cuts in two directions at once and looks like you could play ping-pong with it or cricket if it were larger. 

So, what caused the difference in ultimate pH - the curd size of the starting culture?  :o

qdog1955

Kern----I could be wrong-----but even though cultures have the same bacteria----it doesn't mean they have the same amounts of each strain----so aroma b----apparently has more of which ever strain that causes a little faster acid development then the Flora Danica. I believe Sailor has covered this in some older posts. I do know from experience that FD is real slow and that Hansen recommends crushing the pellets before using, and that might make a difference, also.
Qdog