GENERAL CHEESE MAKING BOARDS (Specific Cheese Making in Boards above) > STANDARD METHODS - Making Cheese, Coagulation

Coagulation, Rennet, Tablet, Junket Brand - No Clean Break

<< < (3/5) > >>

atreyablue:

--- Quote from: MarkShelton on May 05, 2010, 07:18:05 AM ---@ atreyablue: Which rennet did you get? I got the BioRen tablets from cheesemaking.com and had nothing but problems with getting a solid curd and a clean break. I e-mailed the owner with my troubles and he sent me a sample of the vegetarian rennet tablets free of charge and I haven't had any problems since.

--- End quote ---

These say marschall rennet on them m-50 vegitable rennet

here is a link to the product i ordered  http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/109-Tablet-Vegetable-Rennet-20-Tablets.html

Im still new to using rennet, I will admit, I used lemon juice and vinegar before. I tried the rennet at the recommended dosage and it didnt produce the type of separation I am told you need (no clean break) , the previous times I used double the dose it worked fine.

Eric

Nitai:
I use the same rennet Atreya, with raw milk, and I have always had wonderful curd sets. I think I often used too much rennet last year but even in batches when I used less I still got good sets. I am looking forward to using the floc method this time 'round.

John (CH):
Just for info, Marschall Dairy Laboratories /Products was founded by Robert Marschall in 1906 in Madison Wisconsin USA.

In 1966 Marschall was acquired by Miles Inc.

In 1989, Marschall Dairy Products was acquired from Miles Inc. by French speciality chemicals group Rhone-Poulenc SA (Rhodia).

In 2004, Rhodia Food (including Marschall) was acquired by huge dairy ingredients maker Danisco.

After all these changes. it's amazing that you can still buy Marschall labelled rennet tablets! Some info on them on Dansico's website. Some technical material on Danisco's Marzyme Rennet here. Another post on Marschall brand rennet tablets here.

MarkShelton:
Oops! I'm sorry, I got mine from thecheesemaker.com (They are a different manufacturer also, It says Fromase on the back) so I can't be much help with that rennet specifically. However, you say that you have had some luck before with increased dosage; I don't suppose you determined the flocculation point, did you? If not, use the spinning bowl technique as found in the When to Cut Curds section of this site. For most cheeses, the flocculation point should occur between 12-20 min. If you are in this range for this particular dosage of rennet, then you're good to go. Make a note for yourself that this is the optimum dosage, no matter how high it is. If you get a flocculation less than 12 minutes, you are using too much, and it can have irreparable effects on the taste of the cheese.

padams:
ok, I have been quaffling for some time as to post this question or not.....

When I use 1/8 tsp per gal of Dairy connection double strength veggie rennet, I get flocc. in less than 1 minute.  SOOOOO...last week I tried cutting that dosage in HALF....flocc. took between 5-8 minutes, but even after 1/2 hour total flocc time (trying to make a jack) my curds were so soft that it was a total flop...ended up feeding it to the neighbor's chickens. I couldn't cook enough moisture out of them. When I tried to flip it after it's first pressing, it completly disentegrated back into separate curds.
I know I need to go to the metric system, which I am desperatly trying to understand (I spend most of my time here, reading past posts) but until I can wrap my little brain around it, does anyone have any ideas?  I let my milk culture for at least 1 hour, and the inital heat was right on at 88 deg.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version