Cheddar recipe (adapted from a professional source)

Started by bbracken677, October 02, 2012, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbracken677

I made a change to the above procedure: Step 9.  I removed the slicing of the curd mass into slices. In a professional artisan cheddar make, the batches are much larger than my 2 gallon make...their cheddar blocks are at least as large as my entire curd mass or larger.
It makes no sense for me to slice mine up into 1/2 or 1 inch slices...if I want to duplicate their make as much as possible then I should treat my entire curd mass as though it is a single one of their blocks.
Hence I will create a single curd mass and then turn it in the pot (pouring out expelled whey as needed) until it reaches the appropriate pH, at which time I will mill the mass (or as close as I can come).

Tomer1

Well... It depends on the moisture content you aiming for.   Your method will exert less moisture from the curds during cheddaring.

bbracken677

Seems like it would result in exactly the same moisture being drained as an artisan cheesemaker with a 100 gallon make who cuts his curd into 2 or 3 pound bricks, no?

If you stop and think about it, the pro doesn't cheddar with 1" slices of curd mass...so if we do with a 2 lb make, then we will be expelling considerably more moisture per pound.

Hovard

bbracken677, thank you for your recipe.

Step 13
Quote13. Press overnight at 75 kPa (10 - 20 lbs/in2). Start with low pressure and gradually increase to 75 kPa.

Can you explain real pressure in your press? Because 10lbs/in2 equal 68kPa, but 20lbs/in2 is around 137kPa.

bbracken677

Those are not my conversion/numbers...I left those alone from the original notes. I cannot reach 20 psi on my press, so I settle for 10 psi.
Good point, in all honesty I didn't consider the metric side or how the conversion might compare...

Al Lewis

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

bbracken677

Sure! I listed MM100 or Kazu because that is what I have that fit. They actually just used a single strain meso.

Jabber

The way they stack blocks during cheddaring is equivalent to a light pressing or thats how i interpreted the video's I watched.  When I do my three gallon batches I don't cut and stack as it doesn't seem practical given the amount of curd.  But I do lightly press my curd with 3-5 lbs and flip a few times to try to mimic block stacking and restacking. 

bbracken677

Makes sense....that is why I also do not cut and stack...I just flip the curd mass periodically.
Pressing lightly does make some sense however. I may just include that in my process for my next make.

JeffHamm

I think one of the differences, though, is that commercial makes end up with huge cheeses, while we're working with 1 - 2 kilo end products.  The slices may be more suitable for small makes, while when working on a larger scale the slabs need to be bigger as well (due to the final target size).  Will be interesting to hear how things turn out.  Do you have a "sliced" version for comparison?  Looking forward to the results.

- Jeff

bbracken677

I don't for this particular recipe. I do have a couple of previously made cheddars in the cave though, where I did slice the mass, stack and flip.
They turned out drier....but no taste test or formal opening ceremony yet...they are all aging nicely.
I expect to open one in a few months when it hits 6 months. Until then it's all guess and feel....

My thoughts on the subject are fairly simple...since they slice and flip larger masses, in order to match moisture levels I would have to go with a larger curd mass....even though their final cheeses are much bigger, the avg moisture level should be similar (I would think anyway). If I were to slice the mass into smaller slices that are less than 1/10th the size of theirs my cheese would be losing much more moisture and the end product would be much drier.

Jabber

Quote from: bbracken677 on December 06, 2012, 07:29:16 PM

...If I were to slice the mass into smaller slices that are less than 1/10th the size of theirs my cheese would be losing much more moisture and the end product would be much drier.

That was my thought also.  If I were to try to cut my curd I'd end up with a bunch of tiny slabs a fraction of the size of their slabs leading to excess moisture loss (and a PITA to handle).  As it was I needed over 10 psi to get a good knit.  Maybe could have gotten away with a little less if I'd used more warmth during pressing.  I just don't think 5 psi would have been enough regardless.  Sailor what temp do you press at?  Are you making a fairly moist cheddar? 

Al Lewis

Quote from: Sailor Con Queso on October 08, 2012, 04:25:30 PMI use a little Aroma B in my Wensleydales for example to make them a little sweeter that my other cheddars.

Any chance of getting a recipe for those?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos