Gouda newbie

Started by Chedhead, October 06, 2012, 05:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedhead

Hi all! I've made my first Gouda recipe was from 200 cheeses.  I know the brine is chilled but when I store it for 12 hrs in brine bath is that at room temp or in the cheese cave?  Thanks

hoeklijn

Use the coolest room available. There's no need to brine it in the cave. The cheesefarm where I buy my raw milk is brining in their storage where only a AC is used to get a slightly lower temperature. I brine in my bathroom (no, not in the bath) which is at the north. In summer it's about 2-4C cooler than outside.

Chedhead

Mighty Mouse

Quote from: Chedhead on October 06, 2012, 05:49:24 PM
Hi all! I've made my first Gouda recipe was from 200 cheeses.  I know the brine is chilled but when I store it for 12 hrs in brine bath is that at room temp or in the cheese cave?  Thanks

I misplaced my copy of that book. Is that the recipe which calls for one week of air drying?

Good job on the Gouda, they are fun to make!

mjr522

Herman--the bath would be better than where I imagined it being brined...:o

Mighty Mouse

Quote from: Mike Richards on October 25, 2012, 02:46:57 AM
Herman--the bath would be better than where I imagined it being brined...:o

AAAHHHHH!!! Bad visual!!!!

:p

Chedhead

:D u all crack me up
I just looked and I actually used RC recipe. 3 weeks drying in cave before wax.  And after reading on the forum I was worried that it would end up rubbery, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that since there was a slight cross contamination issue with a delicious meunster, so I put it in the regular fridge to dry it out after a good scrub down and then forgot about it, so it cracked. So I opened it up ate ate it.  Awesome flavor, I used flora Danica and although the texture is a wee crumbly (it's still young) its yummy. I'm going to vac bag half and see what happens.

Mighty Mouse

Quote from: Chedhead on October 25, 2012, 03:06:42 AM
  :D u all crack me up
I just looked and I actually used RC recipe. 3 weeks drying in cave before wax.  And after reading on the forum I was worried that it would end up rubbery, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that since there was a slight cross contamination issue with a delicious meunster, so I put it in the regular fridge to dry it out after a good scrub down and then forgot about it, so it cracked. So I opened it up ate ate it.  Awesome flavor, I used flora Danica and although the texture is a wee crumbly (it's still young) its yummy. I'm going to vac bag half and see what happens.

Oh yeah, RC's recipe makes a good Gouda IMO. I have used it a few times and been happy.

So your Gouda was flirting with the Muenster huh? Scandalous! I bet is was good though!

Chedhead

They got along a little too well. There was b linens on everything but the muenster!  ;D

Mighty Mouse

Quote from: Chedhead on October 25, 2012, 03:39:19 AM
They got along a little too well. There was b linens on everything but the muenster!  ;D

He he, oops.

Did you use a ripening container for the muenster?