Hello from Essex, UK

Started by E_D, November 18, 2012, 02:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E_D

Just joined the forum and wanted to Introduce myself.

I am a 59 year old male living in Essex, UK. I am originally from sunny Cyprus but moved to the UK a very long time ago.

I got interested in cheese making, halloumi to be exact, a couple of years ago. I tried a few times but never succeeded so gave up in the end frustrated.

About a month ago I became very interested again and did a lot of reading and research on the Internet. I've tried again about 5 times using different recipies but all I get is either something like Feta cheese where the curds don't bind together or a very creamy mozarella type cheese.

As I have no access to row milk I tried it with pasteurised/homogenised whole milk at first but had no luck. Then I read somewhere that mixing double cream with skimmed milk would work but all I get is Mozarella. I've tried adding buttermilk and citric acid but when I try to cook the curds after pressing at 80-90oC it just melts.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and hope to find answers in this forum.

E_D

linuxboy

Welcome!. For halloumi, the pH cannot be lower than 5.9. Other than that, it's a straightforward cheese to make, both in the cultured and non-cultured versions. We have some recipes here on the forum.

E_D

Quote from: linuxboy on November 18, 2012, 02:40:17 PM
Welcome!. For halloumi, the pH cannot be lower than 5.9. Other than that, it's a straightforward cheese to make, both in the cultured and non-cultured versions. We have some recipes here on the forum.

Thanks for the welcome Linuxboy.

Can you please tell me where I can find these recipes?

What happens if the pH does go lower than 5.9?

Thanks

E_D

Quote from: bbracken677 on November 18, 2012, 07:36:00 PM
Here is one: http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59:halloumi-cheesemaking-howto&catid=36:fresh-cheese-rennet-coagulation&Itemid=60

I have never made it...but it comes from a trusted source    ;)

Thanks for your reply. I had a quick read but I think they are using row milk in the link which I have no access to.

From my research, I found out that I need to add calcium chloride and heavy cream to skimmed milk but I have not been able to find a recipie that uses these ingredients and don't know how much of each to add.

bbracken677

You can also use whole store bought milk as long as it isnt ultra pasteurized. For whole store bought milk you should add 3/16-1/4 tsp of 100% calcium chloride dissolved in 1/4 cup non-chlorinated distilled water (I use a bottled water).  If you use 1 gallon of skimmed milk (0% fat) then you should add 1.5 cups heavy cream, also not ultra pasteurized. Mix in the cream gently...no need for serious agitation.