Cultured Butter Making - I need help...

Started by michoutim, November 06, 2012, 07:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michoutim

Hello !  :)

Can you please help me out ? How can I make cultured butter ? Which ingredients do I need "
I understand that you need a lactic acid, but I do not have a clue which one. I am also in the dark as for temperature required...
I just bought some Pepe Saya cultured butter and it is so nice ! I want to learn how to make it !   :D

bbrown131211

I have successfully used cultured buttermilk, crème fraîche and sour cream cultures. Heat cream to 84 degrees F and add culture, rehydrate five minutes, shake or stir to distribute. Leave out for 12 hours and refrigerator for 12 hours. Then, make butter.

michoutim

Wow Bbrown, this is AWESOME. Many thanks for your precious help !  :) Most grateful ! THe only thing I do not get is "rehydrate 5 minutes...". Can you clarify, please ?  :)

I'll try that. Because I have just bought cultured butter locally but it is US 10 for 225 g. A hell of a price ! Yet excellent product, I must say ! AUstralian made, by  pepesaya.com.au.  :P

michoutim

Apologies to you Bbrown. Yesterday I was tired, I didn't realise that rehydrating did mean rinsing. Ooops !  ;)

bbrown131211

Hi. By "rehydrate", I just meant letting the culture set for about five minutes undisturbed after sprinkling before stirring down to mix with cream.

michoutim

Hi Bbrown ! Thanks for clarifying !  :) Enjoy your day !  ;)