Pressed Cheese - Swelling During Air Drying Phase

Started by Walking O, November 28, 2012, 09:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walking O

I have made two 2 gallon batches of colby. Both have swollen during the drying time and the wax keeps cracking about 12 hours after I wax them. When I remove the wax the cheese feels wet. Also when I cut the cheese it is full of holes, am told it is producing gas from something. It has a sweet taste, but was told I should throw it away and start over. Help! It is made from raw cows milk as I have Dexter cows I milk. Have a batch of cheddar in the press, hoping for better luck.

Al Lewis

Personally, I won't make any cheese that I don't age for over 60 days out of raw milk.  I just did two 3 pound colby's from store bought milk and they are waxed and fine.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Tobiasrer

I am not telling you one way or the other but why toss them just because of a little gas? what was the reason given? How old are they it they are still moist/releasing moisture, and what cultures did you use to make the colby?

Sailor Con Queso

It would help if we knew what kind of starter that you used, because some do produce a little gas. Early gas can be from coliforms. "Late blowing" is generally caused by spore forming Clostridium. If is smells off, pitch it.

margaretsmall

Clostridium - thats a worry. In a post last week (which noone has commented on, sob!) I added a picture of my graviera which is swelling a little on one surface. I've bagged it (this is a bit like knitting something which isnt turning out well, you put it in the back of a cupboard in the hope that the knitting fairies will fix it). We'll apply a nose test when I dare to open it. And if I can work out how to put a link to my poor neglected post I'll put it in here (it's worth looking at, a great photo of a very sad cheese which had been left to its own devices for 3 weeks).
Margaret