Minimum size for Parm

Started by flac, January 05, 2013, 11:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flac

What is a minimum size for a parm? I am just starting to experiment with firm and hard cheeses. I don't have much equipment so I made one gal (US) batches of cheddar and parm.

They pressed into approximately 4x1.5 inch wheels. Is the parm going to dry out too much as I age it?

linuxboy

Depends how you age it and for how long. In a bag? No. Wax? Not too much. Other ways? Too much moisture loss.

flac

Alright, thanks!
I was planning on just doing an oil rub on the rind, but I will have to hold off on that until I make a bigger wheel.

linuxboy

Oil conditions the rind. Slows down the moisture loss, but not extensively enough for a small wheel. Appropriate for a full traditional parm wheel, but not for small pucks like a 1-lber.

peno17

What would you say is the minimum non-waxed and non-vacuumed size is in terms of gallons?

linuxboy

Give me some parameters to work with. Final moisture target, aging conditions, initial moisture, and length of aging.

peno17

Final moisture content is something average and suitable for grating and slicing. I can age in a basement or a  refrigerator. Age for 6-12 months.
Sorry for my ignorance I'm just getting started in all of this

linuxboy

target a cylinder at least 6" in diameter and height, which would require somewhere around 4-5 gallons.

Tiarella

I've done some 4 gallon Parm/ grating style cheeses from whole Nogerian Dwarf goat milk and oiled the rind, aged 12 months in a wine fridge that I didn't control moisture in (so it was rather dry) and the cheese came out very nice.  I did re-oil a number of times and there were times of moisture during aging when there'd be a bunch of Brie or Valencay style cheeses in there. 

I think Pav's input is the best and most reliable but wanted to mention my experience. 

Spoons

Thanks for this, all. For some reason, I thought the rind development was essential for a parm. I'll try my 8L parma-puck project, age it 1 month then seal it for another 12-18 months.

Kirkbybil

I made a very successful parm from 3 gallons in a 5" mould on 21st April 2013. I left it to dry for a month and then I started oiling with olive oil and ended up with a very nice parm that we started last month (and I just had some on my Spaghetti Bolognese for tea tonight!). That was 9 months old,  I cut it halfway up and then cut one of the halves in half and used that and vac. packed the rest as it takes us a long time to use that much.  I also have another on the go that I made 3 months later th exiling certainly gives a nice rind that seems very resistant to the moulds in my cave, blue just brushes off.

I'm certainly not an expert, I just follow the recipe, but this size certainly works okay.

flac

Update:
After over a year and a half of sitting around I finally tried the cheese that started this thread. Half of the time was vacuum bagged in a normal fridge and then switched to a temperature controlled cave.

Overall the parm was pretty good. I feel it was a bit undersalted. Bagging it early lead to nice texture, even though I probably could have let it dry a bit longer. It will go well on some salads and will not last too long. I need to start a larger one!

Reflector

That looks really good, especially the almost translucent appearance around the edges.