1st Parmesan - Minor Surface Mold Problem

Started by jgear0218, January 23, 2013, 01:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgear0218

Hi Cheese Forum!  Can anyone help a newbie with his first post?

I made my first attempt at a Parmesan a couple weeks ago.  Everything turned out great, but now I am noticing a bit of surface mold growing on the rind.  This may be due to cross contamination as my cave has been home to a few blues, Camemberts, and bandaged Cheddars.  A bit of the mold has a reddish tint, while other portions have a grey/blue/black? I have been vigorously scrubbing with a vinegar/brine solution every couple days to no avail.  The blemishes remain triumphant!

Is there anything else I can do aside from a vinegar solution?  Would it help to rub it with olive oil?

I'll try and post some photos soon, but in the meantime, anything information helps!

Al Lewis

It's my understanding that parms should be coated with olive oil to develop the rind.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

jgear0218

I brined the cheese and air dried to develop the rind.  I was planning on rubbing with olive oil after a couple months.

Will the oil deter mold growth and/or kill off the existing mold?

Al Lewis

I don't think it will kill existing mold but I believe it does keep new mold from penetrating the surface.  These are aged 12 to 18 months commercially so they get wiped and turned about once a week by robots.  I'm sure the oil coating must keep them fairly clean and sealed.  Maybe Sailor, Alp,  or LB could chime in.  They certainly know a ton more than I about this.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

sofusryge

My first parm was killed by contaminant molds, but that was partly due to some deep cracks in the surface. My second parm is aging in the cellar at the moment. I had a bit of mold on the surface on that one too, but i gave it the olive oil treatment and it has been very easy to maintain a clean rind since then. Just smear i light coat on the cheese, let it rest for 10 minutes and then remove excess oil with some paper towel.

Tiarella

Quote from: sofusryge on January 23, 2013, 07:42:46 AM
My first parm was killed by contaminant molds, but that was partly due to some deep cracks in the surface. My second parm is aging in the cellar at the moment. I had a bit of mold on the surface on that one too, but i gave it the olive oil treatment and it has been very easy to maintain a clean rind since then. Just smear i light coat on the cheese, let it rest for 10 minutes and then remove excess oil with some paper towel.

I too rub olive oil on my parm style cheeses.  Even if mold discolorations are there it won't matter or affect the flavor. 

bbracken677

I would recommend another dip in the brine for an hour or 2, allow to air dry and then, perhaps, coat with oil once the rind is totally dry.

jgear0218

Great, THANKS EVERYONE!  This forum has been extremely helpful and encouraging in my cheese adventures thus-far and I'm looking forward to many more cheeses.