stepping up from Mozzarella

Started by mozsticks, February 04, 2013, 10:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozsticks

After three tries, I have successfully managed to make mozzarella cheese!!!! This was my second cheese type I made, the first was ricotta. Now im looking for my next cheese to make, and i'm totally clueless on what would be a good next step. somebody mentioned I should try a stilton, but unfortunately, I havnt developed the taste for Blue Cheeses yet  :-[  . So if anyone has some good suggestions (other than blue cheese) I would love the proffesional advice. I think something that doesnt take too long to age would be nice, since I havnt even tried affinage yet.

Thanks!!

MrsKK

If you like cheddar, try Lancashire, as it has good mild cheddar flavor in six weeks and is pleasantly sharp at three months.

Scott Wallen

I made a farmhouse cheddar after I felt I was ready to move from Mozzarella, it's still in the cave till June/July, then a I made a Gouda (Goudarey Jack) long story....

beechercreature

mjr522

The advice frequently given is to choose something that doesn't have to age too long so that you can get a few cycles in (that is, so you don't have to wait 3+ months to figure out if you did a good job).  A lot depends on what you like.

Caerphilly, a cheddared, hard cheese, is good at 3 weeks. 

Those who like white-mold ripened cheeses would tell you to go for camembert which is (at least, can be...) good in about 3 weeks as well.

Washed curd cheeses are tolerant of mistakes.  Monterey jack is a washed curd (at least in some recipes...) that is good in about 4 weeks.

I'm sure there are other short aging cheeses that represent other styles of cheese, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Good luck!