Manchego again! Make Review...

Started by scasnerkay, February 12, 2013, 05:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scasnerkay

Opened this cheese at just about 8 weeks for a party... It was good and tasted like a young manchego. But I have to admit that I have made other cheeses I liked better. I wondered from the flavor and mouth feel if it had gotten a little too low in pH, though it was moist and meltable, not crumbly. I put half of it back in the cave in vacuum pack. I will leave it another month or two and re-test.
It had been a long time since making this cheese... Actually as I look back it was one year ago almost exactly! Since that time I have learned a lot thanks to this forum... Back then I was still using rennet tablets, and it was my first attempt at spinning a bowl...
I find that I still have questions of course...
In the Caldwell book, for this recipe, she uses very little weight to press. I did not feel like I was getting a knit at a lower weight, and I wonder what the difference will be in the final product. Most Manchego recipes I reviewed on the forum used more weight that the 4 X curd weight she proposes.
Also, I felt like the whey pH was dropping faster than I wanted, and so to "stall" it I put the cheese in the cave for a couple of hours before brining. Is this a real solution? I have no way of measuring curd pH, only whey pH. At that point there was no more whey coming off to measure...

Manchego: 2-10-13, Cheese number 41

Recipe mostly from Caldwell book: flocc multiplier of 2.5

2 gallons non-homogenized pasteurized milk pH 6.7
1.4 tsp MA4001
1/16 tsp lipase in ¼ cup water (she suggested 1 skewer tip)
¼ tsp calcium chloride in ¼ cup water
1.5 ml single strength calf rennet in ¼ cup water
Saturated brine

12:40: milk to 80 degrees, culture sprinkled on and set for 5 mins then stirred in.
1:00:  milk to 90 degrees, and covered to ripen for 30 mins
1:32:  milk temp 92 degrees, pH 6.6, stirred in lipase
1:35:  stirred in calcium and let rest 5 mins
1:42: temp = 90, stirred in rennet. Flocculation in 13 mins, multiplier of 2.5 so 32.5 mins for coagulation
2:16: Clean break, began cutting curd at about ½ inch. Then let rest 5 mins. Book suggestion is to take 20 mins to further cut down curd to rice size, then stir for 10 more mins, for total of 35 mins at 90 degrees. I used a large whisk to cut down curd size, slowly stirring and resting curd intermittently.
3:00: Began heating to target of 100 degrees in 30 mins. Whey pH 6.5
3:10: Temp = 92
3:18: Temp = 94
3:30: Temp =100  whey pH = 6.4, resting in pot 5 mins
3:35: Compress curd to form a single mass and rest for 10 mins
3:55: Transferred curd to cheesecloth lined form and put back into pot under whey with no weight for 20 mins (Caldwell does not say under whey)
4:20:  Removed from whey, and placed into press with 9#. Caldwell suggests a very light weight, but curd was not solid enough to try redressing at this point. Whey pH 5.9 – seems like a big drop in less than an hour. Whey coming off is clear.
4:45: Flipped and pressing at 18#, again Caldwell is suggesting just a very light weight, but it does not feel like that will knit the curd well enough, whey pH 5.8
5:20: Flipped and pressing at 27#, Whey pH 5.7
6:20:  Flipped and pressing at 45 #, almost no whey coming out to measure, Whey pH 5.6
7:15:  Whey pH 5.4. Cheese removed from press, placed naked back into form, and into cave at 50 degrees to try and slow pH drop. I need to wait until bed time to put the cheese into the brine....
10:30: Into brine for 8 hours. (4 hrs per pound)
In the morning, out of the brine and onto the counter, weighing in at 2.0#
Susan

xyztal

Any pictures? :)  Also, do you use cow's milk or sheep's milk?

Tiarella

I also wonder about the pressing weights in Caldwell's book.  I have added weight to what it seemed to need to knit but wondered if I should try the lower weights suggested.

Boofer

Quote from: Tiarella on February 12, 2013, 04:06:09 PM
I also wonder about the pressing weights in Caldwell's book.  I have added weight to what it seemed to need to knit but wondered if I should try the lower weights suggested.
And remember to keep your curds warm while knitting....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tiarella

Are they knitting with wool yarn or acrylic yarn.  Wool yarn will keep their little curdy fingers warm.  Just keep them happy!   ;D

Boofer

Knew that was coming... :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

scasnerkay

First they were kept warm in warm whey in the pot, then while they were in the press, the room was about 70 degrees. Warm enough?
Susan

scasnerkay

Taking a class today, I learned that putting the cheese into a colder room was indeed a good way to slow the acid development in order to wait until it was convenient to brine...!
Susan