Sheeps Milk Cheese- First time

Started by Woolie, February 23, 2013, 05:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolie

I am looking for some advice.  I have been milking of my sheep that can't feed her lamb.  She is giving almost 1/2 gallon a day and her baby is not drinking it all.  I started freezing the excess milk.  I would like to make cheese from it, but I'm at a loss what kind to make.  I am fairly new to cheese making some I'm looking for something that won't be too complicated or has to be aged for a long time.  I would appreciate any help that you can give.  I am open to practicing on cow's or goats milk since sheep's milk is scarce.  I'm excited at the prospect so if all goes well I may milk a few other ewes too.

JeffHamm

I think there are more milk solids in sheep's milk (roughly double?) compared to cow's and goat's.  So, you should get twice as much cheese from the same amount of milk.  I would think a semi-lactic would be a good way to go.  You could probably make some with the left over you get from a couple days (i.e. if you could get a litre of the milk) you could make a small semi-lactic, with white mould.  I've made a semi lactic blue that worked well with cow's milk.  Semi-lactics are pretty low effort, and only require a few minutes a day. 

- Jeff

Back 2 The Frotture

Ten days after lambing the milk becomes suitable for human consumption and cheese fabrication.  Why not just make a lactic cheese?  Simple enough and really good after four days. You can sterilize the milk in bottles too.  Jeff is right about the solids in the milk's compostion.

Woolie

Thank you!  Great advice.  I knew that they were higher in solids and fat, but my biggest fear was wasting it on something too difficult for my level of expertise.  I didn't want to make something like feta, ricotta or yogurt.  I will do some more research on those cheeses.  Do you have any recipes you can recommend?