Baby swiss from summer

Started by Chetty, February 20, 2013, 02:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chetty

Here is a picture of my baby swiss from the begining of this last summer.  I didn't get a chance to get pictures after I cut it because It was gone so fast.  I am going to make alot more of this because it is one of my favorite cheeses to make. 

High Altitude

Pretty!....but next time we definitely want to see the eyes!!

Chetty

When it gets warmer I will make some more.  This batch was gone before I had time to take pictures.  It had some eye formation but they wasn't as big as I would have liked.  Does anyone have any suggestions to get the eyes in swiss type cheese bigger. 

Boofer

SEARCH on "bigger eyes" in the forum. Lots of postings.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

CWREBEL

Just curious, why do you wait until it gets warmer?

Chetty

Quote from: CWREBEL on February 25, 2013, 05:09:48 PM
Just curious, why do you wait until it gets warmer?
I don't have a warm room to age the cheese in so I wait till it gets warm and just leave in in the warm of my make room.  It stays around 65 degrees

BobE102330

65 is a bit warm for my bedroom in winter.  The bedroom would make a great spot for warm phase, but a certain lady objects.  She really laid down the law the first time she saw a Stilton getting blue there.   ::)

Boofer

Quote from: BobE102330 on February 27, 2013, 04:46:15 AM
65 is a bit warm for my bedroom in winter.  The bedroom would make a great spot for warm phase, but a certain lady objects.  She really laid down the law the first time she saw a Stilton getting blue there.   ::)
I'm sure she just hasn't warmed up to the Warm Phase idea yet. After all, it IS a community project, right?

I think I noticed an eye roll the first time I had an alpine in the upstairs bedroom. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.