First Time Limburger

Started by KTownCheese, March 11, 2013, 07:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTownCheese

So I decided to try my hand at some ripened cheese using some B. Linens.  After much thought I decided on trying a Limburger.

The recipe came from the Wiki portion of this website and the milk I used was regular store bought 2% with calcium chloride added in.  I used about 1/8 tsp of annatto to give a nice cream/yellow colour.

The pic below is a shot just after salting and spraying with B.linens and water.  I plan to re-salt each day until day 5 then go heavy with the B.Linens.
Any thoughts from the members here?
Any tips on what I have done so far?

KTownCheese

Just another upate, The cheese is a few days in and I have rubbed with salt a few times.  Things seem to be progressing but I have not seen any B. linens development.  How long does it usually take before B.linens shows up?

JeffHamm

I've not made limberger before, but on other cheeses they will take a week or more to become visible.  Don't worry, if you wash it they will come! :)

- Jeff

KTownCheese

Going on the third week for my limburger now.  Definitely getting a slime occurring however no distinct orange dicoloration.  I expect this is because I used a touch of annatto during the making and cant see the colour change.  Ahh well. I will keep wiping and continue on.

JeffHamm

It can help to let it sit out for 30 minutes or so a day.  The b.linens benefit from getting some air.   Still, the annato could be masking them and if you're getting smear, you're there.  Keep on what you're doing.

- Jeff

KTownCheese

Thanks for the info.  By now the smear is going really well and Im seeing distinct red coming through.  I put a port salut in with the limburger about a week after i started the limburger and it is now really orange/red.
Also I shaved off a piece of the limburger last night.  Holt crap it has a very strong B. Linens taste.  Possible I used too much B.Linens?
Anywho I like it so Ill let it sit for anothe rmonth and then see what happens.

KTownCheese

Just an update on my cave and B.linens growth! everything is looking good!

Boofer

Yeah, linens is definitely in the house. :)

How does it smell?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

KTownCheese

absolutely amazing,  However if i leave the cave open for longer than a few minutes the smell penetrtates the whole first floor.

Boofer

Making friends....  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

KTownCheese

Im looking to sore my limburger for an extended period following ripening.  has anyone had any experience vacuum sealing these cheeses?

Boofer

I have vacuum-sealed a number of cheese styles that had a linens-ripened rind. Most of them I washed the linens off first, dried them, and then sealed them. They all fared pretty well, in fact, I recently sampled one of these.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!