Need some Help: CHEDDAR-PARM Hybrid Experiment (Dubliner / Bellavitano Type)

Started by Spoons, June 06, 2014, 12:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoons

I'll be on vacation in a few weeks and I'll have some time to make some "out-of-my-repertoire" cheeses. I'm specifically planning on trying to create a CHEDDAR-PARMESAN hybrid, much like a Dubliner or Bellavitano.

The Main objective: Cheddar-type body, Pamesan-like taste (sweet and sharp).

Anyone have an opinion on some starting points for my little experimentation?
Choice of culture?
Recipe type?

awakephd

I'm too new at this to have any *informed* ideas to offer ... but why let that stop me, right? :)

It sounds like a very intriguing idea. My first thought, which may be overly obvious or just plain wrong, is to use a thermo culture (perhaps in addition to meso?) plus some lipase; cut the curds small; and do a cheddaring phase. The part I have absolutely no clue about is how hot to go with the cooking phase.

I will be very interested in following your experiment!
-- Andy

Spoons

I was thinking that too. A simple cheddar recipe with a mix of MA11 and LH100.

Another direction I was thinking: A simple parm recipe (ST61 + LH100), but with full fat milk and seal the wheel once it's finished air-drying. Would that end up making a sliceable cheese with a cheddar-like body?

jwalker

Quote from: Spoons on June 06, 2014, 12:59:57 PM
I was thinking that too. A simple cheddar recipe with a mix of MA11 and LH100.

Another direction I was thinking: A simple parm recipe (ST61 + LH100), but with full fat milk and seal the wheel once it's finished air-drying. Would that end up making a sliceable cheese with a cheddar-like body?

I like Spoons idea , but add some lipase , and wax it for aging if you want the cheddar texture.

awakephd

Would LH100 be enough? I was under the impression that LH100 should not be used as a thermo culture by itself (though of course you would be putting it with a meso); rather it adds some of the nuttiness of an alpine cheese. The two parmas I have made (which I am still waiting to mature) just used TA61 as the culture, no LH100. Again, I'm a rank beginner, so take my words with a grain of salt ... or maybe a long brine soak! :)
-- Andy