Citric Acid vs. Lemon Juice

Started by Sunshinegoat, April 04, 2013, 12:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshinegoat

Hi all!
I have a question about Mozzarella...I got my recipe from and old cow farmer years ago. The recipe calls for 1/4c of lemon juice and 1/4 tsp liquid rennet to 1 gallon of milk.
I recently purchased a cheese making book specifically for goats milk (I have a small herd of dairy goats) and her recipe calls for citric acid.
I was wondering what the conversion would be if I used citric acid in my recipe instead of the lemon juice. I have never used it before but hear it makes your cheese stretchier...Mine has been coming out quite stiff a few times and I would like to try this.
My recipe is simple and I am used to it so if I can get it to work that would be great!

Does anyone know what 1/4 c lemon juice would be equivalent to if I used the citric acid?

Sailor Con Queso

Lemons vary in size and acidity so there is no exact conversion. Just use the recipe in your book or search the Forum.

Dibbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid

Wikipedia claims up to about 47g/L in lemon juice so I reckon 1/4c lemon juice could contain approx 2.8g

Sunshinegoat

Thanks..I guess I should have said that I use the lemon juice from the store (not from real lemons)
I have been searching the internet and havent been able to find a conversion yet..but lots of people asking my same question ;) Ill keep looking... Thanks for the help!

linuxboy

Covered before in a few thread. 1/4 cup is a little over a teaspoon. somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 tsp, depending on the lemons.

Sunshinegoat

Awesome! Thank you :D I will give it a go!