First taste of cheese

Started by Spike, May 25, 2013, 03:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

I just tasted my first hard cheese, a cheddar. It is only 5 weeks old, but there were some mold spots under the wax. Opened it up, cleaned, and put in a food saver bag fore more aging. Tasted like a mild cheddar. Very happy.

hoeklijn

Beautiful looking cheese! Did you use annatto? It has such a nice yellow color!

Spike

Yes, I think 1 tsp in 2 gallons of milk. Need to cut that back some. Also need to start writting stuff down.

tnbquilt

You definitely need to write stuff down during the make. Times and temperatures are very important. 6 months from now when you are tasting your cheese you can review your notes. It helps a lot in determining what might be causing a specific flavor, especially if you have another cheese to compare it to.

shotski

Did you use the cream wax under the red wax? I have only waxed 1 cheese so far ( Edam ) and used the cream wax first it has mold inhibitors in it.

I have read of issues under the red wax without the cream. Another way around this issue is to heat the wax to a higher temperature and while waxing hold the cheese in each position for a couple of seconds so the heat sterilises the surface as you go. 

tnbquilt

I use the yellow wax, so if you get mold you can see it and take care of it quickly. I don't put anything under the wax, and I rarely get mold underneath it, although I have a few times.

KTownCheese

A cheese to you on the cheddar!

Spike

Shotski - No cream wax under the red wax. I have only just read about using cream wax here on this board. I was unaware of it previously. Looks interesting. I did heat the wax to 240 F, and dipped and held for 6 seconds. Likely the temp of the wax had dropped by the time I waxed the sides.

tnbquilt - Just starting out I really liked the look of the red wax. Would agree that yellow would be more practical now. Could start mixing yellow with the red I have now. Bright orange?

KTownCheese - Thanks for the cheese!

shotski

A cheese to you for the very nice looking cheddar. It is very rewarding when you cut them open isn't it.

John

Spike

It was super rewarding for me. This one was actually my 4th make. Just opened it early due to the problem. This was the first one I had cut into, and I was very happy. Looked like cheese, smelled like cheese, and tasted like cheddar. It was all I could do to keep from breaking my arm patting myself on the back!  ;D

Appreciate the cheese. Thanks Shotski.

bbracken677

Another cheese to you! Great looking cheese and excellent result for a 4th! Great appearance and nice looking texture...send me a piece to try haha

I think of all the cheeses I like the complexity and depth of flavor in cheddar that has been aged years.  I figure if I make enough of them sooner or later one may hang around long enough to reach the 3 or 4 year mark  :)

Spike

Wow, another cheese! Thanks bbracken667. I agree with you, I love sharp cheddar. My wife brought me back some 3 or 4 year old cheddar from the Amana Colonies in Iowa. It was great. About 15 years ago I picked up some Atomic Cheddar there. It was so sharp you could cut yourself with it. I thought it was great, but not likely everyone would.

I also hope to be able to age a cheddar that long. For the moment, just happy what I have made at least seems like cheese.