Asiago Pepato (barely Vecchio)

Started by Spellogue, June 21, 2013, 12:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spellogue

I made an Assiago Pepato using Mary Karlin's recipe last September.  I intended to age it for one year.  I had the rind headed in the direction I wanted it to go with just little powdery whisps of wild geo.  Then about 3 weeks ago B.Linens crashed the party.  It looks (and smells) to be a tasty cheese, but not what I was planning. 

I'm wondering if there is a reasonable way to retard or remove the B.L. and keep heading for my one year target.  The more I consider it I'm thinking I should just let it be what it is now and start to feast on it.

Here are are some pics from late October and today.

george

Not that this is going to help you now, but this is why I vac seal everything I'm going to need to age.  Even without any ambient b. linens, I make enough stinkies on a regular basis that there is absolutely no way I can keep it from invading eventually.  Better luck next time?  Looks pretty good, though, pull out that ole vegetable peeler and give it a taste?

meyerandray

I have gotten a couple of spots like that of B. linens on my blues (I have made 2 blues, it happened both times) and both times they never took over.  I lowered the humidity in my aging box (opened the lid) and they just remained little freckles that didn't affect the flavor, aging or texture development of the cheese.  I don't know if you will be so lucky, but if it happened twice to me, maybe there is a chance??
I should say that I have been washing (with a plain salt and water light brine, not innoculated with b. linens) some mini-taleggio that I made though, and they don't seem to getting any B.linens spontaneously, so you may have more in your environment than I do. 
Good luck

Spellogue

When I brought the wheel to room temp and found it to be softer than I might have expected I carved into it.  It was rather strong.  I enjoyed it more when I removed the rind.  I normally like to eat he rind on most cheeses, but this one had a bite that I didn't like.  Sort of dishraggy, for lack of a better term. 

The wheel has evolved into something other than an Asiago, I suppose.  The paste is a bit aggressive on the attack, but mellows quickly, to perhaps the longest finish I've ever experienced in a cheese.  The finish is of the flavor of a very strong asiago.  I certainly tasted asiago, but I had to wait for it, and the front end is a bit shaggy tasting.  The peppercorns do add a nice snap.

Should have eaten this one at 6 months.  Perhaps I could have waxed it then, or a little sooner, for a keeper.  I'll have to try it both ways next time.