Hello My Name Is....

Started by Tiss, September 07, 2013, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiss

Just want to introduce myself. My nickname is Tiss. I have a small herd of Lamancha and Alpine dairy goats and have been making cheese for about three years. I expanded the herd last summer and finally have all the milk I could want for experimentation. I also have a BFF with a Jersey and am able to trade goat milk for cow regularly.

I've really been pushing myself to become a better cheesemaker this summer. Dear Husband bought me a wine cooler on Craigslist and that has opened up worlds of possibilities. It's already full and I need another. Here are some pictures of my creations. I look forward to learning even more here!

~Tiss

The Bearded Ladies and New Herd Sire

A Care Package for a Friend

Valencay- I gave the pyramid shaped one away

My 2nd Goat Gouda

Crottin- I cut this one very young. The rest of the batch had a nice ooziness under the rind. I guess it was too delicious to snap pictures.

jwalker

Welcome to the forum , great resources here , and being an experienced cheese maker yourself , your input will be much appreciated .

Nice little farm you have there , I am envious , I have to buy my milk from others.

I still have fun at it though.

Spellogue

Beautiful goats.  Beautiful cheeses.  We're looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

hoeklijn

Welcome to the forum from The Netherlands, neighborhood of Gouda.
I love your Valencay! Just have been to an open day at an artisan dairy last Sunday with a Valencay, a Manchego and a Gouda. All three were highly appriciated. On the photo I see a little bit of slipping skin, just as I use to have. What's the recipe you use?

Tiss

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been loving my Gouda's  ;)  This last one I didn't wax in time and decided to just wash the rind with a brandy brine. Should be interesting!  :o

I am using the Valencay recipe from Artisan Cheesemaking at Home by Mary Karlin.  It has a pinch of GC in it that's supposed to help with slippage. Some slip a little, some don't.

What have you done to help with the slipping? I'm always up for tips.

Here's the latest. It's my first attempt at pepper jack. I used 2 gallons raw Jersey for it and aged 60 days. I used the "Just Jack" recipe from the book I mentioned above. It's wonderful except for the rind. The recipe calls for a bandaged rind and I am not happy with the flavors that the wild molds imparted. In the future I will try waxing or an oil rubbed rind.

hoeklijn

As far as I experienced now, it's a delicate balance between a high RH and a low temperature in the cave (90%, 11-12C), and going easy on the amount of PC en Geo. Besides that I like them most at the age of 4-6 weeks. Just Jack seems a bit crumbly to me, was that intentionally? 

Tiss

No, it wasn't intentional. It was my first attempt at a Jack and my first experience with this particular milk. I usually use my goat milk which sets up very fast and requires about 25% less culture than recipes call for.  I was shocked after 30 min that I still didn't have a firm curd on this. It took about 50 minutes to set. I need to take all that into account when I try this one again. It may be a while since my friend drying up her cow in preparation for calving.

Even with the crumbliness, it still has a very nice creamy texture. Not dry at all.

What are your suggestions?

hoeklijn

When it's still creamy it seems to me that it didn't knit very well. How did you press?

Tiss

I have a spring press. I am looking at getting a lever style/Dutch press though. I'm not entirely happy that I have to keep adjusting the tension as the curd compresses. It's quite possible that this one compressed down until there was very light pressure if I pressed it overnight. That sometimes happens if I put it in for final pressing right before bed. Girl needs her beauty rest!

hoeklijn

LOL, I think you need something like this: