Hi, i'm Robin from adelaide australia

Started by Robin A, September 10, 2013, 12:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin A

I've had one introductory class and made my first batch of feta at home. What to try next?

Homecheesejack

Hi Robin,

Really good to have you on board - I'm always excited to see a new member.

My advice would be to have a go at making your own simple soft cheese, something like a coulomnier.

The forum is an amazing place to get loads of help and advice. If you want a free starter guide (with no obligation), aimed specifically at the beginner, there's one on my website at www.homemadecheese.org.

I hope you have loads of fun!

Jack

Tiss

I'm not sure what kind of milk you have, but crottin (goat milk) is really easy and delicious. I've had good luck with gouda too.

Gürkan Yeniçeri

Go like this

feta --> halloumi --> mozzarella --> gouda --> cheddar

Boofer

Quote from: Gürkan Yeniçeri on September 11, 2013, 03:31:28 AM
Go like this

Guess I'd better back up...I missed doing the first three. :-\

I'd say Gouda would be a safe bet. Finished within a week, sealed in wax or vacuum-sealed, and aged for 2-60 months. :)

Welcome to the forum, Robin!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Spellogue

Quote from: Gürkan Yeniçeri on September 11, 2013, 03:31:28 AM
Go like this

Yeah, I made halloumi before feta and haven't made a moz yet. But what Gurkan suggests looks like a logical progression.  I suppose chèvre was my first cheese.  We raise goats.   I jumped into bloomy rinded cheeses straight away.  That is a style that we like to eat most.   

Lots of folks on the forum will recommend Caerphilly as a first pressed cheese.  It is a rather forgiving make and it ripens quickly so the rewards come quick.

What cheeses do you most like to eat?