Brandnetel's Raw Milk Mozzarella #1

Started by OudeKaas, September 22, 2013, 07:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OudeKaas

Hi folks!

Been a while since I posted here, I kind of took a little time off from cheese to pursue other stuff, then I accidentally killed my cheese fridge over the summer by puncturing a gas line manually removing ice from the frosted over freezer section with a knife.

Anyhow, we picked up some nice raw cow's milk from a new supplier in upstate NY (Muddy River Dairy in Otego, NY . . . licensed since like April and apparently one of only  69 suppliers in the state now . . ) And not having my fridge to hand I was looking for something to do that did not involve long aging. So I decided to try mozzarella again, after having done only the 30-min recipe kind several years back when I was just starting cheesemaking. In any event today is the make day in progress, and the milk is acidifying as i write this post. We are going to start with the wiki recipe from here and see how it goes! This will be a 3.5 gal batch with thermo and I think we will look to make ricotta from the whey also. Will keep y'all posted!

steffb503

Hey,
69 raw cow milk suppliers or raw milk? Just wondering if that number includes me? I know there are 3-4 in Sullivan county alone with raw cow milk.

OudeKaas

Sorry for the late reply, Steff - that list was for the whole state of NY, as far as I know. Certainly it must be out of date by now though! I saw a relatively new supplier in Otsego County just recently, seems like the list must be growing all the time!

Stinky