1st Saint Marcellin

Started by jbuczek, November 02, 2013, 03:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbuczek

Pic shows one of the four rounds I made that have been in the cave at 55 F and RH 90%. I fear they may be too thick and frankly too bloomy. One of them, above, shows a hole or pit in the rind. Is this considered slipskin? And if so, is there a fix?

jbuczek

Same wheel above cut open at 14 days. I thought it tasted wonderful. Will be interesting to see how the paste on the other three change over the next few weeks. I will be opening them one at a time to get a good bead on how things ripen.

Schnecken Slayer

It looks like slipskin where the outer layer ripens too fast.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

jbuczek

Yeah, not sure how to curb the slipskin but I will look into it for batch 2. In any case, this was a total win taste-wise. I just opened the second one three/four days later and it had changed so much. Funkier, better.

Digitalsmgital

Funk is good in music and cheese. (hygiene, not so much)

If the taste is good then the texture looks wonderful, I likes me a little oooozing. Why change it up next batch?

jbuczek

Thanks for the response. I opened the third one and no slipskin to speak of, the middle paste was tight and the ooze was gone. Love these little cheeses. I am wondering how to get them very soft and runny. Perhaps its just a matter of putting them in a crock and waiting another couple weeks. In any case I am going to do a second batch in the next week.

mgasparotto

What recipe did you use? Thinking of starting a batch soon. I have Mary Karlin's recipe, but would be interested to hear others.
Melissa