Basil Butter

Started by Digitalsmgital, November 24, 2013, 06:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digitalsmgital

Baked up some Honey Oat bread yesterday, but more importantly made some cultured butter to go along with it.  :)

My wife thinks I have gone a step or two too far in this homemade kick I am on. She may have a point, but she ate up the bread and butter like it was going out of style!  ;)  As did the boys.

Took about six ounces of the butter and made basil butter to go with the bread:

• Take about 15 or 20 large basil leaves and wash them and put them in a food processor
  • add a couple of cloves of garlic
  • 3/4 cup of cold butter
  • around 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

I usually pulse the processor until the garlic and basil is well blended, then add the butter and pepper. 

you are gonna love this!

Tiarella

I am going to try this......sure wish I'd known about it before winter killed our basil!

Digitalsmgital

Yeah, our plants are on their last legs now...sunny and warm days, but night time temps are getting down to the 40s.

Tiarella

40's would be a heat wave for us.  We've been down to 9 with 24 mph winds so I'm in insulated overalls when I'm outside doing barn chores now.  I know it's cold when my damp hand freezes to the inside barn door handle.   ???

Schnecken Slayer

It's 32 outside and my basil is thriving.
Oh wait, your talking Fahrenheit.  :)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Tiarella

Quote from: Schnecken Slayer on November 28, 2013, 05:54:16 AM
It's 32 outside and my basil is thriving.
Oh wait, your talking Fahrenheit.  :)

oooh, don't make me cry.....   :'(.  Cold and windy here with some snow.

Geodyne

If it's any consolation Tiarella, not all Australia is like that! It's cold and windy with some snow (above 1,000m anyway) in Tasmania today. I haven't planted my basil yet but when I do, it's going in the greenhouse!

Tiarella

Quote from: Geo on November 28, 2013, 07:43:43 PM
If it's any consolation Tiarella, not all Australia is like that! It's cold and windy with some snow (above 1,000m anyway) in Tasmania today. I haven't planted my basil yet but when I do, it's going in the greenhouse!

Consider me consoled!   ;D