A two gallon recipe with a one gallon press

Started by CaptainYar, January 23, 2014, 06:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainYar

I have a feeling this question will be met with a resounding no, but I had to ask. My wife naught me a beautiful Ferrari, hand-turn, cheesepress. It works great, but it's designed for one pound wheels and I  now interested in doing two gallon recipes. Is there anyway I can use my one gallon press to make two gallon wheel?

linuxboy

CaptainYar

It's  5 inches in diameter and  4 1/2 inches deep

linuxboy

Pretty tough. I doubt it would fit 2 lbs of curds. But you don't need a fancy press to make great cheese. You don't even need to press many cheeses at all, except milled curd types. a lot can be done through technique.

CaptainYar

Hmmm....interesting. Well the goal is to make cheddar. Bars on past uses, I think I could fit nearly all the curds in, my biggest concern is that this tall whee. May contain too much moisture in the center. What techniques were you thinking?

linuxboy

My classic recommendation is to

1) cook/stir to completion for cheese style, which is 39-42% moisture
2) gather curds, fuse under whey
3) Form and flip to create even rind.
4) Use moderate weight (1 PSI or even less) until pH is right for salting/brining.

I detail this more in my tomme thread.

milled curd needs a lot more weight to fuse very well. Likely much more than your press can deliver... at least 5-8 PSI. You can get away with less if the curds are warm.