Author Topic: Greetings from another Aussie  (Read 9034 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Greetings from another Aussie
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 03:40:02 AM »
Damn !!!   not fair  :o  and raw as well !
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

TimT

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 04:11:46 AM »
I know! One reason why you should never trust milk you get from the shops - the taste of practically every Australian adult who drinks/uses milk was developed during our childhood when the only stuff you could get was a homogenised variety from Devondale or some other big dairy - so we're used to a much lower cream content than you'd get naturally because, of course, the big producers just skim cream off the top and homogenise the rest so you have no way of judging by the cream line (unlike earlier generations).

shaneb

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 05:09:14 AM »
I have and uncle and aunt who recently gave up dairy farming. When I was young I can't ever recall them putting milk in the fridge. I think they filled up a huge Tupperware jug with milk from the vat and it would stay out on the bench all day. Presumably they feed whatever was leftover to the dogs and would refill in the morning.

Oh and I don't think they ever liked jerseys much. They were okay with the cows, but said the bulls were mental.

Shane

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »
How do you come across Jersey milk Andrew? I'm guessing not from your standard supermarket?
As a matter of fact I do get it from the supermarket. Our local Foodland stocks Fleurieu Milk Company Jersey milk - pasteurised but not homogenised. A bit more expensive than most but it really is the duck's guts (apart, perhaps, from raw which I haven't had the pleasure of using). I don't know if there are small milk companies elsewhere in Australia which produce something similar.
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
Thanks Andrew. Your posting made me do a bit of googling and it looks like there are a few different brands of Jersey milk available in melbourne. When I'm a bit more confident I'll look at them closer.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
If it helps anyone, Aldi's 300ml tubs of double cream have no additives. Minimum 51% fat.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 02:42:34 AM »
As long as it is not Ultra Pasturised.  If it is I would be cautious about adding it to any long term projects.  Cams and the like would be ok but a nice blue destined for long term maturing I wouldn't.

--Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 02:57:54 AM »
Strangely it doesn't even say on the tub if it has been pasteurized, let alone ultra pasteurized. Is that not a requirement? Apparently it has won awards though.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/awards/dairy/dairy-detail/ps/p/farmdale-double-cream-300ml-1/

The cream is for a small batch of brie. Hopefully it will be okay.

Shane

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:45:51 AM by Shane »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 03:34:11 AM »
It's got my Vote... I'll try some in my next 'Malemberts'

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »
I think I'll give the Aldi cream a try - I'm considering a Blue - something that ripens reasonably quickly 3-4 months.  Never done a blue so the results are going to be very interesting.

Any suggestions ? 

--Mal

shaneb

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 02:48:34 AM »
I did a very small blue from the mad millie specialty cheese recipe book. It was only 2L of milk, plus cream. I felt I had nothing to lose by trying. Below is a photo. It is nearly 3 weeks old.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 07:39:05 AM »
I think I've found a source of non homogenised milk in Victoria. Jonesy's Dairy Fresh sell 2L bottles and 10L bladders of non homogenised milk. I've found a couple of resellers of their products in Dandenong. There looks to be quite a few resellers throughout Victoria and New South Wales.

I'm yet to buy any, so I have no idea how good it is.

Hopefully that may help someone else.

Shane