Calcium Chloride

Started by milkybar kid, January 07, 2015, 11:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkybar kid

I think i have made a bad mistake...i have without counting up, about 16-17 cheeses in two fridges, at the correct temp, which my first one, a stirred cheddar was made on the 4-5 nov, so, just over two month old, plus other cheeses out of Cheese Making, by ricki caroll, probably made two a week, different cheeses, the last 2 being a caerphilly and a wenslydale. I bought cc off ebay, a kilo in a tub, i  it's 100%. when i read of cheese makers selling cc it's usually 33%, iv'e been adding my cc as it says in the book,if it said 1/2 tspoon, then that's what i put in,....only at 100%.. i had a little taste of a quick make cheddar that can be eaten within a month and it is bitter, will my cheeses get any better or is it time for a clearout ? I have ordered the correct dosage cc at 33% and wilL be using this in the future, what do you think ?. I'm peed off to say the least.

Stinky

I honestly don't know. But I wouldn't be too surprised that the month old cheddar doesn't taste ideal, as cheeses that have not been aged long enough tend to be underwhelming.

shaneb

I'm actually interested in this also. Are recipes always with 30% CC? My first batch of CC was 30%, but I noticed that my new batch from cheeselinks is 50%. I have been going by the suggestions on the CC bottle though rather than the recipe, so I think I'm okay.

Thanks.

Shane

John@PC

Here's a link to a reply Pav gave a couple years ago about bitterness.  I wouldn't think excess CaCl would cause it but maybe someone else can confirm.  My first cheddar was bitter - never tracked down the problem but since following recipes better I haven't had that problem (knock on wood).