When to start washing natural rinds

Started by Mermaid, February 03, 2015, 02:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

I have been making hard pressed cheeses and the recipes say to wait 7-10 days for a "smear " to form before washing with a light brine.

What does that mean? "Smear"?
Currently my cave is cold- it's winter- about 45-48 degrees. BRR. All I see on my cheeses' surface at 7-10 days is maybe some salt crystals on the surface of the cheese, maybe some geo ? After two weeks I'm getting a brown/black mold in small spots.

When to start washing and how often? Thanks!

Al Lewis

That's rather strange as the "smear" occurs after you start washing the cheese.  See here.     Read about it here.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Mermaid

Thanks for the reply! Yeah that's what I assumed a smear was but it seems the recipe is referring to something different. I've been drying the cheeses for 2 or 3 days before moving to the cave. When should I start washing cheese for rind formation ?

Al Lewis

Here is what Alpkäserei told me when I first learned to do washed rind cheeses. He did an entire thread on it. 

Stinky

Yes, that's a lovely treatise.

Another thing to add that he notes elsewhere is that when you brush, on a smaller cheese, you try not to add too much liquid. See, the first washed/smear-ripened cheeses I made the brush got dipped in. This results in a stinkier cheese. But if you don't want it to be super linensy, just add a little bit of water once you've gotten the smear established.

Mermaid

All helpful info- thanks!
I'm trying to make natural rinds without the linens- should I just be brushing and never washing?

Al Lewis

If you want to keep the linens off, not sure that's entirely possible, then brush only. O0

Stinky

Some people, and I have tried this once, take a brine and just rub it on twice a week with fingers, and then let it dry. It does discourage mold summat.

Stinky

Quote from: Stinky on February 04, 2015, 07:38:34 PM
Some people, and I have tried this once, take a brine and just rub it on twice a week with fingers, and then let it dry. It does discourage mold summat.

A clarification here: For linens, mild brine with just a little salt. For not linens, put in more salt than that. And don't leave it wet like you would a washed rind.

Al Lewis

I mix 2/3 cups 18% brine with 1/3 cup of white wine.  I mist it on with a spray bottle and then wipe lightly with a paper towel.  Very seldom do I get mold growth doing this and, if I do, I just brush lightly before wiping.