Author Topic: My First RAw Milk Cheedar and the New Kadova Moulds  (Read 13903 times)

BigCheese

Re: My First RAw Milk Cheedar and the New Kadova Moulds
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2010, 02:08:06 AM »
At the Beverage People I did a short Blue Cheese class and they did like 1/2 lb blues. I guess I was just curious if anyone else has done it.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2010, 04:33:04 AM »
I use simple 7-1/2" Tomme molds for my Blues. I prefer the traditional flat shape, but there are also some technical reasons.

I keep my Stiltons in the molds for 3 or 4 days until they firm up. Would NOT want to tie up my Kadovas for that long.

I turn a couple of times a day by just flipping the entire mold over onto a Sushi mat. That would be really problematic with a Kadova - actually darn near impossible. You can NOT take the soft cheese out and turn it.

The rounded edges of the Kadova shape would not be "structurally" very sound. Stiltons are soft and the cheese would sag big time.

BigCheese

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2010, 04:37:16 AM »
I use simple 7-1/2" Tomme molds for my Blues. I prefer the traditional flat shape, but there are also some technical reasons.

I keep my Stiltons in the molds for 3 or 4 days until they firm up. Would NOT want to tie up my Kadovas for that long.

I turn a couple of times a day by just flipping the entire mold over onto a Sushi mat. That would be really problematic with a Kadova - actually darn near impossible. You can NOT take the soft cheese out and turn it.

The rounded edges of the Kadova shape would not be "structurally" very sound. Stiltons are soft and the cheese would sag big time.

got it, thanks for the info. I guess the only blue I will do in a Kadova is if (when) I try a blue gouda.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 04:09:31 AM »
My four little Kadova moulds were delivered yesterday. I measured them to be 16-20oz. Filled up they're 20oz.

Can they be washed in a dishwasher or is the heat too much for the netting?

Work is proceeding on my new & improved high-psi cheese press. Photos coming soon.  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 05:09:25 AM »
Congrats Boofer! I don't see why they couldn't go in the dishwasher pretty heavy duty - but I don't have a dishwasher so I haven't tried it.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 05:31:27 AM »
I put mine in the dishwasher 3 times a week.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
Press with enough pressure to create a smooth rind by the next morning. This is 25 p.s.i. to start. After 30 minutes take of the pressure and tighten the cheese cloths around the cheese. Increase the pressure to 40 p.s.i. for the rest of the time.   

Looking at the picture of your six little moulds with the cans pressing down on them, I can't help but wonder where the 25psi or 40psi comes in.

Using this calculation:
(weight applied) x (mechanical advantage) divided by 3.14 x (mould radius squared) x 6 moulds

...the closest I can come is 16.6psi using:
  • a weight of 75 pounds
  • a lever advantage of 5
  • a pulley advantage of 4...(4 pulleys, yeegads!
  • a mould diameter of 4 3/8 inches
  • a total of six moulds

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2010, 11:24:42 PM »
Boofer I have never pressed anything even my 2 kg moulds with more than 45 to 50 pounds of weight and I don't have a problem getting a good press.