Author Topic: Hi from Upstate New York  (Read 913 times)

jmason

Hi from Upstate New York
« on: April 30, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
Hi all!  After lurking around here for the last year or so I decided it was time to introduce myself.  I started making cheese last year after wanting to try it for about 10 years.  It was really much easier than I thought.  Thanks to watching some videos mostly from Promised Land Farm, and Gavin Weber I made a batch of Feta as it seemed like an easy start and is a cheese I like.  It turned out wonderful and the last of it is now over a year old and has become very nice (although there is only a few ounces of that original cheese left).  It has been my staple for the last year of cheese making until last Sunday when I made my first camembert.  Well this mornings turning showed the sides fully covered and the top and bottom begining to bloom.  Woo Hoo!  It was the cheese I really wanted to make when I started and now it is on it's way.  Although it contained only base culture and P. candidum.  None the less I am very excited with the results so far and will be making more I'm sure.  In addition I have been making huge quantities of strained greek style yogurt since my aon and I both love it (to the tune of 3-4 gallons of milk turned into yogurt a week).

I have a few cheeses I want to try in the near future.  A Neufchatel with candidum.  A blue cheese with culture from a store bought danish blue.  Some sort of tomme, haven't decided on particulars yet.  Provalone and mozzarela.  Clothbound chedder.  And some other bloomy rind cheeses.  I have a feeling my wine fridge-cheese cave will soon be supplemented with a freezer conversion cave to allow some of these projects.

I have a 30 year history of beer and wine making although these are on old at the moment due to apartment life, which I dislike greatly.  Hopefully I can get my farmstead started in the next couple of years and get my vineyard started and raise my own grassfed meats and some sheep for milk and meat.  Well that's me.  I have learned a great deal from this board already and am looking forward to furhter adventures.

John

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Hi from Upstate New York
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum John!!  Always a joy to welcome new people.  You came to the right place for ideas and help.  Sounds like you have things pretty well planned out so I'll look forward to your makes.  Again, welcome!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »
Welcome! This is a great place to learn and to share. We look forward to your pictures!!!
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »
Welcome-----that's some beautiful country up that way.
Qdog

jmason

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »
It is nice here.  I am about halfway between Albany and Binghamton.  I started a simple blue cheese this morning, 3 gal batch. So far it seems to be going well.  It does have me a little nervous about the evil roquforti invading everything in my cave but I'm trying it anyway.  Mold progression is coming along nicely on my camembert, almost completely covered now.  So looking forward to trying it.  May do the neufchatel this weekend, after watching the AOC video I am kinda stoked to try it.

John

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »
My oldest son was an instructor at the Navy reactor school.  Nice area!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos