Author Topic: Pre Cultures instead of DVS  (Read 909 times)

johnr

Pre Cultures instead of DVS
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »
Fellow cheese makers  8)

I often wonder how my culture is doing specially because a few of my packages were lost by UPS and found only a week later.  My concern is that I am left with bacteria that has lost some power.  The issue is that it is a lot of different bacterias so I don't want to throw them all out.

I have been reading that I can use UTP milk to grow bacteria a few days before and then use that to inoculate my milk.  I make cheeses in two gallon batches.

My question is, if I prepare culture a few days before, will that be better than chance it with the DVS and will it cause any other problems.  I don't intent to freeze it per se.  My only thought is that if the little guys are not doing well, I give them enough time to build up and be strong when the time comes to inoculate the actual cheese.

Thanks

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Pre Cultures instead of DVS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:02:03 AM »
Over night will be more than enough time , it should set up like yogurt and then start to separate . I usually use it before  that point.  Thermos will need a little heat , I use the oven with the light on  and I put them about 6 inches from the light.

You can also do this every time  you make cheese it saves on cultures as you use less to make a starter . For a 2 gallon make I would do about 1 cup milk and 1/4 the amount of the culture called for .

Reduce the initial wait time in the recipe as you are no longer waiting for hydration and for them to wake up .

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
You should read this thread

Making Mother Cultures

We do this every day.

johnr

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »
Hi Sailor.

I really enjoyed reading that post.  A lot of good info.

I am making two batches this weekend, a gouda and a havarti.  I will use your method for sure and will post updates.

Thanks

johnr

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 01:07:24 AM »
Sailor.

I wanted to tell you that your advice was perfect.  Thank you.

I will never use DVS the same way again :)

Thanks