Author Topic: A washed curd experiment  (Read 997 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
A washed curd experiment
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:09:53 AM »
I brought home almost 3.75 gallons of lovely jersey milk today and threw in a little goat milk to bring it up to the 4 gallon mark. This farm gig is the best ever!! I wanted to make a cheese experiment comparing coagulation and then taste contribution of different kinds of rennet. So I ripened the milk in one batch with FD, then divided it into 2 pans to add the rennet. One pan got liquid paste calf rennet, and the other got my usual single calf rennet.
I have just learned that the liquid paste calf rennet has about the same coagulation strength as the regular calf rennet!! I was concerned about how much to use.
I have also learned that I do not like trying to manage 2 pans at the same time!! Especially since they were heated in different ways!
I think the makes did not go on target.... oops. I will follow it out and in 2 months we shall see.
Susan

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: A washed curd experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:04:03 AM »
Hi Susan,

It's really hard to manage two pans at the same time. I tried it once and the make went OK. I almost didn't need to salt the curd as the sweat from my forehead almost did the job... ;)

I'm very curious to what the result will be. I'm only using rennet paste now (calf and goat) and I think that it works well. I never made at direct comparison between normal rennet and rennet paste.

:) Danbo

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: A washed curd experiment
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:20:52 AM »
Tried the same type make again! This time only one pan. I brought home 4 gallons of milk, and tried veg rennet for the first time. It is double strength, and I used a bit more than I should have - flocculation in 10 mins. I cannot keep all variables the same, but it will be fun to compare the 3 makes in a few months.
Susan