New from York, England

Started by Phil, May 26, 2015, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Hi Everyone,
I'm delighted to have found this site and hope to make some good contacts on here and you never know, perhaps some friends!
I'm thinking about starting a cheese business although plans are in their infancy at the moment.
I'm trying to develop a couple of cheeses just on a small scale in the kitchen at present. I'm making a French Neufchatel and a Sage Derby and having some problems!  :o
Anyone out there started from scratch?
Phil

jmason

Welcome Phil,
I am fairly new here myself and the folks on here are nice and very helpful.  You definately came to the right place.  I have no experience with derby, but I have made a few batches of neufchatel and although it is a simple process I will say it is not that easy a cheese to make.

Here's a link that you may find useful

https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2502.msg19558.html#msg19558

on that page is a film about nuefchatel production.

I never achieved the granular crumbly texture you see in the film, both of mine so far have come out like a chevre before the ripening.  I didn't really get and action from the P. candidum at my refrgerator temperature and in both cases moved them to my cheese cave, 1 for a week, and the other just stayed there and a half of it is waiting for me to finish eating it (it won't have to wait long, it has gotten pretty good).  I have a hunch that the acid  level was high enough to really impeed the pc development, it has finally in the ones that spent weeks in my cave @ 55F.

enjoy your time here.

John

Phil

Hi John,
Thanks for the note and great to be in touch. I've had similar problems with the French Neufchatel when refrigerating. I got the recipe from a book but I think it's wrong to refrigerate as the PC seems inhibited by the low temperature and takes ages to form. I notice on the video that you sent that the makers use a higher temperature 8-12C profile so I'll give that a go and report back!
Cheers
Phil