Author Topic: Comparing 2 cheddars at one year - another experiment!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Comparing 2 cheddars at one year - another experiment!
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:37:23 AM »
At the time these were made, I wondered about different starter options. So I kept the 2 makes (one week apart) as close as I could with the exception of the starters used. The make sizes, and the milk had some differences as well, and I do not know if those may have influenced the outcome as well. The smaller cheese probably could have been vacuum sealed a bit sooner to keep it from drying as much.
I opened these for a family gathering, so that I could get tasting notes and votes from several people. There was a clear winner between the two....
Both were yummy cheddar. Both had nice mouth feel, with a hint of crunchiness, though the smaller was a bit dryer. Both were a bit crumbly in the style I prefer!
The larger cheese won universally! It was nutty, sharp, and classic... So, I guess I know which way to aim the culture selection for future makes! (See 12-23-14 make sheet)

Adding a few notes to make it easier.... Smaller cheese used 2.5 gal of raw Jersey, with MM100 and SuCasu as starters. Floc time was 15 mins, targets met were 6.24 drain, and 5.3 salt. Time from starter in to salting, 5.75 hours.
Larger cheese (preferred) used 2 gal raw Jersey, 2 gal pasteurized creamtop Holstein, with Kazu, and a bit of FD. Floc was 13 mins, targets met at 6.3 drain, 5.35 salt. Time from starter in to salting, 7 hours.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:49:23 PM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Comparing 2 cheddars at one year - another experiment!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
Interesting. From what I can see, MM100+Su Casu (large cheese) and Kazu+FD (small cheese) contain the same variety of cultures -- I think -- it was a little confusing flipping back and forth between web pages, so I may have missed something. So presumably the difference is in the proportions.

I have made a couple of cheddars with MA011+TA061+LH100, which includes many of the same cultures, but lacks the diacetyl-producing bacteria. The one I opened recently, at 7 months old, has a fantastic cheddar taste, but I wouldn't say it has a nutty taste.

Obviously, it is time to make more cheese so that I can experiment ... :)
-- Andy

john H

Re: Comparing 2 cheddars at one year - another experiment!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:11:44 AM »
Susan, thanks for sharing your work sheets and critiquing the makes. Your cheddar looks awesome I have not made a cheddar yet but it is on the list of cheeses to make. 

John