Author Topic: Royal blue copy  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Royal blue copy
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:57:30 AM »
This is a make as per Stuart Dunstan

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14745.0.html

The only change was  I used  ma 4002 and my800  I also added a 1/4 cup of kefir for the geo , I also used some blue from a Stilton .

Made on July 11th and opened today ,  made 2 cheese  in the reblochons molds this is the one I pierced the least , but it is still a very strong blue flavor ,  it smells mushroomy  has a big hit of blue on first taste but has more of a soil like after taste. 

I am hoping it will mellow out a little As I like my blues to finish sharply also

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:07:03 AM by Gregore »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Royal blue copy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:37:23 AM »
Gregore, "soil like after taste" aptly describes my last blue (only the second blue I've made -- a Gorgonzola protocol) at about the same age. I cut it into sections and vac-bagged them (stopping the vacuum a bit short) and put them in the cave. And three or four weeks later ... wow! What a difference -- the soil taste was gone, and the sharp twang that to me says "blue cheese" was there. I hope your experience will be similar!
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:48:06 AM »
I thought about bagging them but was worried about them squishing the geo has been doing its job so they are soft  and at room temp it is oozy.

They are to come with my wife and I on our yearly visit to her high school friends place at the end of the month , so I will not have time to bag them  and mellow them.

I do have some new ones in the works so if they end up similar I will try your idea.

My wife just tried it again and thinks it is mushroomy and sweet sharp , so maybe it is just me.

Also I used it today in a corn stuffed poblano pepper and the taste almost mellowed to nothing when heated is this normal for blue cheese????.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:13 PM »
Hmm, don't know about what happens when you heat it -- I've never tried!

Yes, you do have to be careful if vac-bagging not to squish it. I stopped the vacuum before it was complete -- still sealed, evacuated of most of the air, but not enough to squish the cheese. It has worked well.

That said ... I think you could get some of the same effect by putting it in a ziplock in the cave to give it time to finish. But again, I've only done two blues, one of which I consumed when it was still at the "not so great" stage, and the second which I'm still working on. Come to think of it ... it is time to make another!
-- Andy