Asiago - at 7 months - Wow!

Started by scasnerkay, December 11, 2015, 10:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scasnerkay

These cheese has been one of those that was just low maintenance the whole affinage. I gave it a turn and a brushing occasionally, but it form a nice strong rind early on, and just sat there, for months! The recipe is from Peter Dixon for an Asiago Fresco, able to be eaten at 2 months or so. Since it was a 6# cheese, I thought I should let it go out longer, so did not open it until today. I have no idea how it would have been at 2 months, but today I can say I am glad I waited. Half was vacuum sealed and back in the extra cave, as I needed more room in the better controlled cave. Milk was raw Jersey, starter bacteria was Su Casu + LBC80 and I used paste calf rennet.
Susan

Boofer

Looks like a winner, Susan. A cheese for your efforts.

Where's the flavor notes?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Mermaid

Beautiful cheese! I have this recipe and now I am inspired to try it myself. :) AC4U

scasnerkay

Just the right amount of saltiness, nutty, spicy sort of sweetness, great aroma, very nice mouth feel. Added some to risotto last night which was great!
Susan

Frodage3

Looking good Susan! How are things in sunny Cal?

scasnerkay

Rainy, would you believe it! Still no success at blue cheese. Good success with a couple of stinky cheeses. Really looking forward to playing with loads of fresh milk as soon as the colostrom/first milk is cleared from the farm cow. Trying to decide what to make with milk from a cow that actually has grass to eat!
Susan

Al Lewis

Quote from: scasnerkay on January 14, 2016, 10:48:22 PM
Rainy, would you believe it! Still no success at blue cheese. Good success with a couple of stinky cheeses. Really looking forward to playing with loads of fresh milk as soon as the colostrom/first milk is cleared from the farm cow. Trying to decide what to make with milk from a cow that actually has grass to eat!
If you think it's rainy there Susan come on up to Washington State with me. LOL  Just started a thread on blues if you'd like to take a look at it.  trying to find a simple, easy way that works every time.   https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,15147.0.html

Love that cheese BTW.  I've bookmarked the thread to try it. AC4U  I can see 6 gallons of raw milk in my future. LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Frodage3

It would be soooo nice to have access to fresh milk. Lucky lady! I'm looking forward to the write up...

Al Lewis

Quote from: Frodage3 on January 19, 2016, 07:10:41 AM
It would be soooo nice to have access to fresh milk. Lucky lady! I'm looking forward to the write up...
I take it you're in Vancouver Canada and not Washington.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

MarshmallowBlue

That cheese looks amazing, AC4U. I love looking at all the cheeses here, they make me hungry.

Frodage3

Quote from: Al Lewis on January 19, 2016, 02:12:04 PM
I take it you're in Vancouver Canada and not Washington.
Yes, that's right.