Author Topic: My First Belper Knolle  (Read 8513 times)

Kern

Re: My First Belper Knolle
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 10:59:48 PM »
They are starting to get interesting.  My first three batches got infested with blue/gray fuzzy mold and had not fully dried.  I liked the flavor but could see that the paste needed more time aging.  I have now been aging these outside the cheese cave in a plastic box with the humidity around 75-80%.  This seems to have kept the mold in check.  I believe that the mold spores came in via the bulk whole black pepper (Tone brand).  Initially, I had toasted the pepper then forgot and simply ground it right out of the container.  I've gone back to toasting in a very hot non-stick pan keeping the pepper moving for about two minutes.  I think that this will kill any spores.

I noticed that the mold started on the bottom where the balls were sitting on the grate which was in close contact with the plastic tub bottom.  This likely created a little cubic humidity chamber that fostered the growth of the mold.  I now raise the grate off the bottom to get air circulation around the entire ball.  None of the mold penetrated the cheese itself.  It was only in the pepper.

AnnDee

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 03:31:55 AM »
I tried one of mine few days back, it has a pleasant taste but it hasn't reached the flavour that I like. I age them in a box too but I alternate between opening the lid and closing it. No mold so far.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »
Kern, I had spots of the same mold in the same places.  I brushed it off with a small brush and misted them with cognac, as I had some in a spray bottle for my Manchego, and it seemed to kill it off.  I was keeping them sitting on paper towel in the box but have removed that and sat them directly onto the plastic rack in the box.  Have to check them this evening to see if the problem is solved.

AnnDee, Thanks for the info on the flavor.  I was wondering what they would be like after a month as mine are now rock hard.  I assumed the flavor would intensify with age but didn't know if it would be acceptable at one month.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 09:57:35 PM »
I took your suggestion, Al, and tried brushing off the blue mold.  Easily removed it with a toothbrush.  Clearly, the mold is on the pepper and not in the cheese.  As I did not mist the mold-cleaned pepper-rind with cognac I have some to enjoy with a fine cigar the next warm evening we have here in the Puget Sound area.   8)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 01:25:56 AM »
Oh I have some left! LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos