Author Topic: Hello from Angus, Scotland  (Read 1223 times)

danchamp

Hello from Angus, Scotland
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
Hello all

We have a small herd of Shetland cattle here in Angus in the east of Scotland. They are a dual-purpose breed, and while we've had beef from them for a few years we only started on dairy last year, with some very limited hand-milking.

This year we started milking three cows with a mini-milker machine, in mid-June. We get about 10 litres per day (they are all feeding their calves too). It was always the plan to make cheese - I was booked onto a course at the West Highland Dairy last September, but it was cancelled at late notice. So I'm learning from books and of course online resources, and while it's a steep learning curve I'm loving it.

I started with some very simple paneer and fresh cheese, have made a couple of batches of Camembert, and am now onto Cheddar.

Looking forward to getting involved in the forum. There will be lots of questions, and massive gratitude for any help and advice given!

Dan

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Hello from Angus, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Lots of good advice, recipes, commiseration, celebration, etc. here!
-- Andy

Frodage3

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:12:09 PM »
Hi Dan,
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask questions and post pictures of your cheeses.
Jim.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:47:16 AM »
Hi Dan ... And welcome to the cheese forum! I'm sure you will find this the right place to be whilst going through that steep learning curve... I know I enjoyed the challenge and final product when picking up this cool new hobby. I also use milk from my family cow but haven't invested in a milking machine yet ...
Again jump in there any time asking questions and post pictures please ... It's easy ..just click the "attachments and other options" link below every text box when replying or starting a new thread.

Enjoy :)

valley ranch

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 04:58:22 AM »
Greetings Dan, Glad you found this forum, hope you have a lot to say, enjoyed reading you're first post. Welcome, see you around the cheese forum.

Richard

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing more about your adventures in cheesemaking.  Pictures are welcome.