Author Topic: First Gouda  (Read 1580 times)

ezabel

First Gouda
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:16:59 AM »
So the wife and kids were away, I was about to dry off my herd of cows for the year, so decided to have a crack at making some cheese ;D
I'm big on preserving, but my 17 year old son has developed an expensive habit of eating camembert with my jellies every day, so borrowing the molds,press, recipe book from a  good friend, and buying the mould, starter and rennet, I set to it for 4 days :P
I have 8 cams ageing at the moment, and this is my first Gouda out of the brine.  In a possibly slight OCD moment, I have another one, but with cumin seeds, in the press at present, so that will hit the brine in a few hours.

Really happy with yield.  10 litres of milk for a 1.85kg cheese.  Now just to be patient (which isn't my strongest trait ;))
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:52:07 AM by ezabel »

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: First Gouda
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »
Congratulations on a lovely looking cheese and welcome to the forum.
Have a cheese from me for a great way to introduce yourself.
Sounds like you have got the bug and I am sure that you will find the forum a great resource as you delve further into the wonderful world of cheese making.
- Andrew

ezabel

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:55:37 AM »
Thanks Andrew.  This forum was really helpful for my next cheese which was the cumin seed one, as my book didn't have anything about when to add cumin etc.  So I boiled a Tbsp of seeds in 150ml of water for 15 minutes, cooled, then added the residual liquid at same time as starter/rennet.  Seeds went into curd just before the pressing under whey.  Another 1.8kg cheese.  Out of the press and into the brine.

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »
but my 17 year old son has developed an expensive habit of eating camembert with my jellies every day,

Ah, if all teenagers had that habit, the world would be a better place.  lol

john H

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »
Welcome ezabel, looks like you are off to a great start.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:19:31 PM »
Awesome looking cheese :) congrats and welcome.

Vollebregt

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 04:51:57 AM »
Ezabel. You are right, it is hard to make cheese when you lack patience  ;) but it seems like you have the knack in creating good looking cheeses. Welcome to the great cheese making forum, I hope they taste as good as they look!!  ;D