Author Topic: First tomme - To cut or not to cut  (Read 1609 times)

olikli

First tomme - To cut or not to cut
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
I am unsure how to proceed with my tomme that I made pretty much exactly three months ago. I used 17 litres of creamline milk and after salting the cheese weighed almost exactly 2000 grams. The rind was left completely untreated. After 10 days in my 12 degree basement I transferred it in my 9 degree cheese fridge, stored on a covered cake plate.

When I weighed it today it had 1615 grams and the rind was quite hard. As I don't have a proper cheese press (yet) I had pressed the cheese only with a few tins so I didn't get a very smooth surface and I suspect the rind will be pretty pronounced.

I am wondering now if I should cut the beast or leave it for another few weeks. Unfortunatley I don't have a proper tool to take a sample. Would it be ok to vac seal indivudual pieces if it turns out the cheese needs more time?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: First tomme - To cut or not to cut
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:31 AM »
I think you should cut it open and take a taste , and yes you vac seal if it needs more time . It is large enough that even if it is ready you will need to vac the extra.

olikli

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
I cut the cheese this morning. As I expected there is one "rind intrusion" area caused by a surface crack, but overall I am suprised how thin the rind still is. It is already good to eat but it is still on the young side and quite mild in taste. I will divide the cheese into quarters and seal them individually for further ageing.

olikli

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 03:36:59 PM »
OK, here is an update. I had sealed a couple of individual chunks which I have been using up over time. There was a nice progress of maturation but nothing really exciting. But today I cut the last vacuum sealed quarter wheel and was positively surprised.

This piece has undergone a wonderful transformation. The formerly dry natural rind has pulled some moisture from the inside and developed a superb complex fermented taste on its own that even overshadows the rest. Of course tomme normally is aged open in the cave, so the vac seal effect is nothing what you would get from a traditional cheese. But it was certainly worth doing. I am definitely going to make another one but I'll need to wait for cooler basement temperatures for the initial maturation stage.

Duntov

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »
It looks fantastic.  We can't always replicate a natural cave but sometimes get pleasant surprises.  AC4U!