Author Topic: Hello from Hong Kong  (Read 820 times)

smcaro@gmail.com

Hello from Hong Kong
« on: December 21, 2016, 05:12:49 AM »
Hi all!
I apologise for not having introduced myself before. I even posted a question some time age and got a few helpful replies.
My name is Santiago, and I live in a tiny appartment on a 60 th floor overlooking the old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong so I guess I maybe qualify for the highest(not most elevated)Creamery in the world!

I started making cheese in July this Year 2016 and during summer Vacation in Spain I made Robiola, which flopped, and Chess're which I opened after only a month and of course it was very dull but firm. I used a bar fridge and keeping the right temperature not to mention RH was a real struggle.

Before in Hk I had played around with Halloume which flopped, and FETA which was actually quite good after 6 weeks in olive oil in the fridge while I was back home.

Back to HK, I use a wine fridge, small, and the regular fridge once mature. I only have space for 4 liters (1  gallon) at a time. I try to sanitise everything but most Confess I am not the tidiest or cleanest person in a kitchen.

I use fresh P and H milk. I mostly though use Full cream Dutch Lady Powder milk which I dilute in drinking water at a rate of 3 cups per litre.

I have made and tasted:
Caerphilly. I was good and all who tried it liked it. Not Sure if it was the real thing but again, it was good. I now have one cylinder in the cave which passed the 3 week mark yesterday but which I will keep for another 10 days or so until my son comes over for New Year. I also have another round one which I unmolded yesterday and set out to dry. I made this one with a SS cake mould and Used the bottom as a follower. It was laid directly on the base of my Dutch press. It win be interesting to see if this setup actually does allow whey to drain enough during pressing. It holds form very nice but is very very moist So I have rubbed salt on it twice more when turning.

Cacciotta which was edible.

Flopped "Stilton"converted to Cream blue cheese.

I now have on the line:

Limburger. Cut to commercial size pieces, when washing they all broke into small pieces. B . linens after 3 weeks was not very evident, so wrapped in wax paper and kitchen alum. foil and placed in normal fridge. After another 3 weeks, slightly Softer, tastes very strong but young Cheese. Obviously no redder. So yesterday unwrapped and washed and put in to an airtight plastic Container and back in the cheese caVe. We shall see.

Edam . Waxed. It as bloated and torn the way twice. when dewayed was however looking very well on the outside. Cut off some blue mold and inside Seems ok. We'll see.

Wensleyda le, Farmhouse Cheddar, Red Leicester, all waxed, and all had whey leaks and have been rewaxed Once or twice. Inside though the feel and smell are very good. Maturing.

Gouda, as with the 3 above, made in one cylinder, the only mold I have besides the new cake moulds, then Cut in half and waxed. Been 6 weeks with no problem.

Cheddar and gruyere in very small disks, like a hockey puck. Both waxed. The Swiss after it had been 1 month in the cave and had developed a hard rind (probably all the way through)

Stilton:a small as the previous. after 3 weeks i read somewhere to scrape off the moulds. I has never recovered. It looks and smells great. I tried the inside with a straw and there is no P.RO apparent botthe taste is awesome. It does tend to break when I handle it, but since it is very creamy I just rub the cracks back into shape. I has been in its own plastic box for another 3 weeks with twice weekly breathers, and in and out of the cave and / or the fridge. I would call it a day and eat it, but i will wait for my son.

Butter Kase also inflated the wax. Out to dry again And now afing without wax.

Reblochon, 3 small wheels with all Sorts of indents and shapes as were made in baskets with no followers in the press. They are in deakd boxes in the cave and washed every other day. No P.C., Geo, or B. linens for the moment (4 days) And teem very hard, but. I will try again this week with the cake mold

Bet Paese:4 days in its sealed boxed in fridge. Comes Out and washed every two days. Hard and moist.

Cacciotti. Was never creamy but rough on the sides and crumbly at first. Waxed in two halves. Tried after a mouth and rewaxd. Very tasty. Not the real thing but my own creation I think.

Something blue reddish. This was a complete flop. I oversleep ed and over pressed, etc. Then I Confused the 2 round shape with the two sq. and assumed they were both Petit Bleu when they were probably meant do be Robiola. fo when no P. Ro appeared alter to days I sprayed them and pierced them yet again. The wrapped, 2 in cheese double paper and 2 in wax paper and into the cave. After 3 weeks of turning, some blue, hard toad skin on all. Decided to dump them as they were hard and not ripening. But my wife opened a sq one and ate half. She liked it. I was creamy inside. Acid for me but since I She insisted, I have them out to complete a hard And of sorts at room temperature (20°C 90% RH)and will then see. Probably wax them and forget them for months...

So this is me. Happy to be here.

Santiago

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
Hi Santiago,

Welcome to the forum... Don't let the challenges let you down... we have all been there.

The kitchen sanitation is really important for a good result. Is worth the time and effort... ;-)

:-) Danbo

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
I have just had the chance of reading my own post. Unreadable sorry. Proves that an IPad Pro with an Apple pencil sucks as far as writing in real time... Just saying.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »
Welcome and here's to your successful continuation of endeavors in the world of cheese making! ;D  A cheese for all of your past attempts!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
Thanks!! I have today tried crescenza but, even though I used fresh milk, it ended up as yoghourt like liquid.so much so, that I have just left it in the mould (lost about 60%of the curd and liquid) to rest overnight.