When to add smoked paprika

Started by DoctorCheese, January 21, 2017, 08:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorCheese

When do I add smoked paprika to my cheeses rind?

Duntov

As-soon-as the cheese is dry enough.  Just add the paprika to olive oil and wipe. 

DoctorCheese

Quote from: Duntov on January 21, 2017, 09:09:04 PM
As-soon-as the cheese is dry enough. 
Does dry enough mean after I air dry the cheese and before it goes in the cave? Like, touch dry?

Duntov

Quote from: DoctorCheese on January 21, 2017, 09:44:05 PM
Quote from: Duntov on January 21, 2017, 09:09:04 PM
As-soon-as the cheese is dry enough. 
Does dry enough mean after I air dry the cheese and before it goes in the cave? Like, touch dry?

Correct.

Al Lewis

Looks like this when it's done. :o  Minus the basket weave of course.  That comes from the mold. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Ananke

Resurecting this old post as that cheese looks amazing.

Does the smoked paprika flavour the cheese or would I need to add some to the curds too?

DoctorCheese

Quote from: Ananke on June 13, 2017, 04:43:14 PM
Resurecting this old post as that cheese looks amazing.

Does the smoked paprika flavour the cheese or would I need to add some to the curds too?
I am not sure if you are asking me or Al, but my cheese had a rather low profile so the smokey paprika was able to permeate the paste better. If you want a significant flavor of the paprika in your cheese, then I would advise adding some in to the curds right before pressing. You could then also put more on the rind.

Ananke

Thanks for the reply Doctor, I'll be trying that.  I love the idea of smoked paprika flavouring.

lovinglife

OHHH if you sprinkle it in your curds then press it would make a beautiful marbling look, I may have to try that myself.  I made a red wine infused cheese and after it was pressed it was so pretty, and it tasted good too!

mobius

5ittingduck

Work out how much you use carefully if you are mixing it in.
If you add too much it gets quite bitter.