Brie very 'earthy'

Started by Dorchestercheese, April 18, 2017, 11:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorchestercheese

Hi-  My Brie is coming out earthy in flavor.  Any idea why? I'm using the recipe on New England cheese. The texture is awesome buttery smooth and silky.  Is it the milk?

Dorchestercheese

Wait I just realized it's only 5 weeks old maybe it needs longer.

SOSEATTLE

Brie is supposed to have a mushroomy/earthy flavor.

Susan

Gregore

Some cultures are like that , is this a commercial culture ? 

Dorchestercheese

Here is the recipe-
- 1 Pack of Rick's Mesophilic C101 culture OR 1/4 teaspoon of MM100
The next 2 cultures are surface ripening molds and should be added to the milk when culture is added.
- Geotrichum C7 - just a pinch (about 1/32 tsp.) 
- P.candidum C8 - 1/16 tsp.
- Calcium Chloride 1/4 tsp- If having problems with forming a good curd using cold stored milk then this can help. We do not use this with fresh milk.

AeonSam

Hello,

I typically use Flora Danica for brie since it's more buttery. I've found the mm cultures to produce a rubbery texture in Brie and Cams.

Sam

Dorchestercheese

I was at a restaurant last night and had a Brie that was like eating a buttery cheese with no earthy. ..wish I knew the producer

AeonSam

I would definitely give Flora Danica from Danisco or Probat 222, or even Meso B from biena a try. These all produce more butter tastes.

Sam

Gregore

When you say earthy .... do you mean like dirt ?  Or barn yard , hay ? Or mushroomy ?

A good cam should have a coliflower  type taste also

Dorchestercheese

The cheese taste creamy smooth mellow then you are left in your mouth a bitter taste at the end.  Not mushroom I like mushroom

AeonSam

For what it's worth - I read that bitter peptides are a result of proteins breaking down too quickly and one of many causes is an aggressive strain of PC. I went down to a more moderate PC (ABL) and I stopped having that issue.

Sam

Dorchestercheese

thanks all..
Too bad I can't send out samples.

Gregore

I agree a less aggressive will help a lot

But I also find that the bitter ending mellows as they get older , geo can be a little acrid on the finish notes .

Dorchestercheese

Thank you everyone .. back to the lab lol

Dorchestercheese

Hi-  I'm back.  So I cut a blue cheese I made and it has the same musty basement taste as my brie.  It was of course covered with all kinds of colors where the brie only the white.